Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

France, Switzerland, and German: Restaurant/Bar Suggestions?

France, Switzerland, and German: Restaurant/Bar Suggestions?

Jun 1st, 2019, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

France, Switzerland, and Germany: Restaurant/Bar Suggestions?

I'll be traveling to France,Switzerland, and Germany. I would like some help on where to eat, what food you liked, wine you drank. I normally go to restaurant that range from ($-$$) I like street food, small local restaurants, bar food, etc. I usually splurge at least once at each city. (restaurant at main square)
I'll be in:
Paris, France
Marseille France
Zurich, Switzerland
Lucerne Switzerland
Munich, Germany
Nuremberg, Germany
Frankfurt, Germany
Berlin, Germany

Please suggest anything that you enjoyed, I'm willing to try it all. I don't have any allergies.

Last edited by gawr0008; Jun 1st, 2019 at 04:51 AM.
Jun 1st, 2019, 04:10 PM

In Frankfurt be sure to cross the Main River to go to Sachsenhausen which is famous for its applewine pubs. Applewine has a strong flavour and it takes quite a few sips to adjust, but once you do but you will like it. And eat something with Grüne Sosse (green sauce). It is traditional to have it on eggs but there may be other meals that have it. Other things you might try are Handkäs (a strong cheese with onions) or Spundekäs (a spiced whipped spreading cheese).

Sachsenhausen is filled with beautiful 19th century architecture which was not bombed during the war. There is a small section of medieval houses / a square in the centre (the Römerberg) which was rebuilt after the war, but much of Frankfurt is modern buildings. There is a fantastic row of world-class museums on the far bank of the river (the Museumsufer). Shopping in Frankfurt is great; the shopping street is the Zeil. Frankfurt is also a great place to get out to nearby towns (Limburg, Budingen, Marburg, Homberg, Wiesbaden, Mainz, the middle Rhine Valley). And in Frankfurt there are churches from the 12th century, parts of the old medieval gate (Eschenheimer Tor), and a great botanical garden (the Palmengarten).

Enjoy!

Lavandula
Jun 1st, 2019, 07:09 PM

1. Use Tripadvisor to look for restaurants near where you'll stay. Look up their websites, and on there, their menus (and prices)
  2. Learn "food words" in each language for foods you like, and separately, foods you wish to avoid (pig pancreas, for example)
Jun 2nd, 2019, 03:02 AM

OK, quiet thread; in that case I will also recommend you look out for Nürnberger Rostbratwürstchen, the little grilled sausages that are particular to Nuremberg. You eat them by the half-dozen (with mashed potato? or potato salad? I don't remember). You can probably find them in the Ratskeller, the restaurant under the town hall. This is a typical restaurant in many German towns and always has the local specialities in food and drink. I don't know of such a thing in Berlin, it is a medieval thing and Berlin doesn't have any of that medieval flair left, except possibly in the Nikolaiviertel, which is the nearest Berlin nowadays gets to an old town, albeit an East German version of it.

Lavandula