Search

Tavelling to Frankfurt, Germany

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tavelling to Frankfurt, Germany

Hello Everybody,

I'll be taking a trip to Frankfurt Germany 14 Oct thru 21,22, 23 of Oct. I was hoping someone could give me suggestions on places to go in or around Frankfurt, mode of travel: train, bus vs renting a car. Never been to Europe before.

Thanks

Old Oct 9th, 2003, 12:56 PM

Frankfurt itself usually gets pretty well dissed here, but there are some sights worth seeing including the central market square (Röerplatz), some decent museums, and Sachsenhausen.

However, as first introduction to Europe/Germany, I might suggest (one of) the following:
+ heading up the Rhine and the Mosel, maybe up to Cologne
+ down to Heidelberg, Baden-Baden, through the Black Forest, and into Frieburg. (Maybe with a detour to Strasbourg)
+ east towards Bavaria, hitting Rothenburg, maybe into the Alps, and to Munich
+ Berlin and some east Germany sights

(I might also suggest Marburg, but I'm biased as I've lived there for the past 20 months. )

However, the weather lately has been really bad (cool and lots of rain), so maybe think of sticking to more "urban" locales (e.g., Heidelberg to Munich or Berlin).

As to mode of travel, the train system is quite good. (Spectaular when compared to Amtrak, but that's another story. ) If you're traveling mostly to main destinations, I would highly suggest using the train as it eliminates the need to navigate into the cities, find (and pay for) parking, and enables you to relax and watch the countryside. If you want to head towards smaller villages and travel at your own pace, a car is better. (In only a week, you may not have much time to "meander" anyway.) There's very little bus travel except to quite out of the way locations and within cities. You can find train schedules and fares (within Germany) at http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en.

Feel free to let me know if you have any more questions and enjoy your trip.
Paul
(an American in Marburg)
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 06:59 PM

I often fly into Frankfurt or Munich from the USA, spend one day and night there to adjust to European time and then take a train or plane elsewhere. When I choose Frankfurt I enjoy hanging out in the "Romer" (old town) area and the close by river area with it's nice park. This will take care of one day of your trip someone else will have to guide you beyond that.

Have fun.
Larry J
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 07:35 PM

there are many beautiful little towns within 1-2 hours of frankfurt....you can go by train or bus, but the best is a rental car.....make sure you have a good german map book and you will have no problem--the driving is quite easy....
get yourself a good guidebook: fodors, frommers, access, michelin
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 03:09 AM

Here's a few more places that make easy daytrips or one/two night stays our of Frankfurt: Bamberg (one of my favorite towns in Europe), Wuerzburg, Schwabish Hall.
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 12:38 PM

I vote for renting a car and heading out. The German roads are great and there are many small towns that are fun to stop and explore. You cannot do this on a train as easily. Get a good map and go for it.

From Frankfurt head to Heidelberg. Nice place to visit for a night. See the castle and old town area. Then head over to Rothenburg. Spend two nights there. Next drive down the Romantic Road to Garmisch. You will have plenty to do in the area. Then head back to Frankfurt for trip home.

We sometimes make Heidelberg our last stop as it is close to the airport..45 minutes or so...and beats staying at the airport on last night in Germany.