Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bodrum or Antalya for beach vacation in June?

Jun 1st, 2019, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

My husband and I will be leaving the kids behind & traveling to Turkey end of June.

We are looking to spend a week either in Antalya or Bodrum, but can't decide.

We are looking for a beach vacation with warm beach water. I looked at water temperature averages, and it looks like Antalya is warmer, however Bodrum hotels look a lot nicer/newer than that in Antalya. Also, Bodrum looks like there are more things to do.

Our Wish list:
-Warm sea water
-Newer hotels
-Don't want lot's of kids around
-Things to do/culture
-Great food
-Shopping

Also, please recommend great hotels, budget is $350/night, ideally an all inclusive.

Can you please make your recommendations?

Thank you!
Jun 1st, 2019, 09:30 PM

Almost all your requirements point to Antalya region.

Newer resorts East of Antalya, Check Belek, Side, Sorgum- Titreyen gol regions regions. Also better sand and closer to major antique sites like Perge and Aspendos.
Shopping and local life at Manavgat town, as well as waterfalls.
Longer tours to Termessos and/or Sagalassos recommended.

Your budget should be OK for a good Ultra All Inclusive which includes stocked mini bar, hard drinks and food available 24 hours. Should have excellent Turkish rural fast food specialties on or near the beach.

Should either call the hotel or check how much they advertise facilities for kids, otherwise, this can be a risk.

Our favorite no-kids facility is Club Med Kemer, not new but has seen sufficient renovation. It is bungalows with some walking, but a lot of fun, The all-inclusive is not as flattering as many of the Belek-Side resorts, but has more fun, sports, games. Has one small secluded cove and a larger sandy beach. Day gulet swimming trips,
If you decide on that try your best to get rooms at 500 and 700s or if not, 400s.
This resort has some of the best views in the region as well as great pine smells all around.

You may check some of the other recent threads mentioning Antalya where I have given some more detail on the region.
Jun 1st, 2019, 09:48 PM

If you don't want kids around, you can google "adults only 16 + " hotels. I have been looking at the hotels in Side and noticed such.

Like these :
https://www.travelmyth.co.uk/Side/Hotels/adult_only

Last edited by kappa1; Jun 1st, 2019 at 09:58 PM.
Jun 2nd, 2019, 02:01 AM

Both places are popular with European package tourists.
Bodrum is famous for it's nightlife. A lot of wealthy rather younger Istanbouliots spend the summer at Bodrum.
Antalya has much more archeological sites and more good beaches in the surroundings, although those around Bodrum aren't bad at all.
Jun 2nd, 2019, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much!