Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

France/Itay/Spain in February for Honeymoon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I and fiance were planning to travel to Europe in mid of February. We were looking for 10-12 day trip. This is what we have though as of now:

1. 4-5 days Paris
2. 2-3 days Venice(during carnival if possible)
3. 3-4 days spain/rome/greece

My priorities:
1. food and wine
2. Music/Jazz
3. Nice romantic places

Please help with your expertise. You can suggest me with something totally different than what i have come with.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 12:21 AM

4-5 days in Paris is good.
2-3 days in Venice is good, assuming you fly there from Paris.
3-4 days in Spain/Rome/Greece is impossible.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 12:37 AM

If you are already in Venice, then no problem going from there to Rome for 3-4 days. Forget Spain or Greece.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 01:33 AM

The 2013 Venice Carnival dates are January 23rd to February 12th (Easter must be early).

Bear in mind that Paris & Venice will be cold, possibly *very* cold - you will need warm coats, hats, gloves & scarves. Nowhere much in Europe will be warm then, except possibly some of the most southern areas/islands, in the daytime only.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 03:38 AM

I think Greece could have very poor weather in that period, but Spain is nice, if that's what you want. Music, food and wine are really very interesting in Spain if you pick the right spots.

Rome also has interesting food, wine and jazz, and it is the safer bet for such a short trip because you can take the train, which is less subject to problems if there are storms. It also generally has the mildest weather, but last February in snowed in Rome for a few days.

Obviously you can't do both. But if you'd prefer a location in Spain and don't mind the flight, sure. I'd like Madrid -- but it will be cold!
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 06:30 AM

pizzochieri

What makes you think that Greece has poor weather during that period?
Greece being more south than Spain, and especially Crete, the most southern point of Europe have warmer weather and lots of sun.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 08:18 AM

Guess I've always heard that January and February are still the rainy season, and it is cold and sometimes storny. I was presuming the OP wanted to go to the mainlaind.

http://www.travelinfo.gr/greece/info/climate.htm

How far south someplace is doesn't always tell you it will be warmer than someplace else. Depends on other factors, especially along the Mediterranean, and Spain is usually the driest place along the Mediterranean (although not necessarily the warmest). That sort of thing.

Anyway, it is like trying to thread a needle in advance. Maybe it would be snowing in Spain and lovely in Greece or vice versa in those months. So if the message is: Go where you want to go, I agree.