France in September

Search

France in September

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
France in September

Off to France for the 1st time ever. Single lady with some guts (I hope). I will be with a French speaking friend for the 1st 2 wks but from Sept 18 to 28, I will be in Paris, then on a tour for 7 days. I want to take a river cruise (perhaps only a day one), see Versailles, & see the best of the best in Paris between 18 to 21. From Sept 5 to 11, I will be in Toulouse and from Sept 12 to 18 in Mulhouse. What should I absolutely see while in these areas? Looking for good advice & thankyou in advance from a Canadian way up north. wanda
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 01:17 PM

You don't say how you are travelling. Are you hiring a car or going by train? There is a river cruise on the Seine - look at CROISIEUROPE. A good cruise is the one on the Saone/Rhone - we did it earlier this summer.
By the way, why Mulhouse? The Alscace area is much more interesting.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

thanks uktravelover......just the kind of response I am looking for. Why Mulhouse? Because I am accompanying a friend whose family is in Mulhouse and that will be my base until the 18th. Nothing is carved in stone. I would think there are day trips from Mulhouse to the Alcace region? Any suggestions?
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 02:45 PM

Mulhouse is IN Alsace, though it's not a common tourist destination. If you have a car you can drive the Route du Vin and the Route des Crêtes and visit some of the popular towns in the area like Riquewihr and Ribeauvillé and Obernai and Königsberg and Colmar and Strasbourg - eat Baeckeoffe and choucroute and foie gras and plum tart and onion tart and enjoy all the wonderful local wines.

Apart from Toulopuse itself, again if you have a car, you can explore the area and visit Albi, Conques, Castelnaudary, or even Auch and Foix - go off in any direction and there's plenty of interest.

I've never done a "river cruise" on the Seine that was longer than an hour or so, so can't help you with that. As for what you should absolutely see in Paris, that's up to you. I assume you have at least one guidebook and are researching on the internet?
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Hi StCirq: Whoever led me to Fodors deserves a good bottle of wine. I'm getting a lot of experienced advice & I'm grateful. When my husband travelled with me, there was never a moment I was afraid, even in Kings Cross in Sydney at 3:00 am! But now being alone, I am somewhat hesitant, but still intend to have fun as usual. Thanks for the help. W.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 03:37 PM

StCirq is right. Mulhouse is not a prime tourist destination. I believe there is some sort of car museum there, but I have never been to it (or Mulhouse). If you have a car, you can go anywhere you want for a day trip. I would recommend that you at least a piece of the Route des Vins. You might get some good suggestions as well from your friends in Mulhouse. Often some of the best travel experiences come from the off the beaten track places. I do a lot of home exchanging and some of my swaps have been way off the beaten track--and very interesting.

Have a great trip!
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Faux Ste Marie: merci. I will certainly try, damn it! Not finished yet with questions, but for the night, I am. I have a feeling that this first trip to France will be the beginning of a love affair with the country. Ciao. W.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 07:30 PM

It is your first trip? I guarantee it will not be your last!
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 07:39 PM

Hi Wanderwood!
You've received some good advice regarding Toulouse. Time permitting, you may want to add Carcassonne to the mix.

From Mulhouse you can make easy day trips to Freiburg (Germany) and Basel (Switzerland), where you'll find interesting museums, shops and pretty sights in the old town neighborhoods.

Near Basel, in the small town of Kaiseraugst, is the archeological site "Augusta Raurica" situated. It's the oldest Roman colony on the Rhine from around 44 BCE and easily reachable by public conveyance if you don't have a car available.

You could also take the train to Rheinfelden (Switzerland) and cruise downriver to Basel or vice versa. It's a short walk from the train station through Rheinfelden to the Rhine. You could even include a stop in Rheinfelden to visit the saline baths and have lunch before continuing your trip.

In Colmar, 35 km north of Mulhouse, you should not miss the beautiful altarpiece by Matthias Grünewald in the Musée d'Unterlinden. It dates from 1515 and is one of the most important pieces of art. (Isenheimer Altar)

Your friends in Mulhouse will surely take you to the outstanding "Musée de l'Impression sur Etoffes" near the train station, where you can admire a collection of the most beautiful fabrics.

You picked a perfect season to visit France. The grape harvest will be underway in the Alsace as well as in Baden (across the Rhine in Germany). You've already received suggestions for "la Route du Vin" and the many charming small towns. Google "route du vin" to read in-depth descriptions if you haven't done it yet.

Where do you travel on your 7-day tour? Sounds like you're going to have the time of your life
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

Faux St. Marie: God, I am still up....preparing for a party in the gazebo tomorrow night. Yes Sir/Madame (whoever you are), it is my "virginal" trip to France. The only European trip so far was to my son's wedding in St. Petersburg (because it was the first time ever a wedding party visited the Hermitage on their wedding day, we were given royal treatment.....I'd say the best 3 hours of my life) & then off to Vienna for a week. wanda
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

Waggis....before I call it a night for the second time, thanks very much......all this seems "old hat" to you. How many times have you visited, I wonder...incidentally, I did not pick Sept; it picked me. An American lady, originally from France, asked whether I would go with her in May. May didn't work for her & so September it is (& I'm glad). Summers are so short in NW Ont that you want to stay & enjoy what we have. From Sept 21 to 29, I take a group tour from Paris/Rouen/Bayeux/Mont St. Michel/Chateau Gontier/Angers/Saumur/Amboise/Chenonceau/Chambord/Chartres/Fontainebleau & back to the City of "Amour". Think it's called the Treasures of France. Cheerio. thanks again. W.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 11:16 AM

Hi Wanderwood!
I'm convinced your "virginal" tour will make for great memories! You're visiting favorite destinations of ours and some I haven't been to. By traveling in September, you'll have a greater chance of nice weather and you'll be able to enjoy a profusion of flowers, too. None of that early frost you're accustomed to.

I've no idea how many times I've visited the Alsace. You see I was born and raised in Basel, hence, I'm "slightly" prejudiced

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 12:04 PM

Just had another thought, especially since this is your maiden voyage, so to speak. From Alsace you can cross over into German - Freiburg, for example - for a day, or even for lunch. Freiburg's a lovely university town...and you can say you've been to another European country!
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Hi

I have posted a trip report with pictures, links and maps from Paris on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/Paris_France.htm . Maybe you can find some useful information there to start with

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 12:19 PM

The post previous about the car museum in Mulhouse and didn't know about what it has. It's a big collection of various older cars, including a big selection of Bugatti roadsters. Ask your friends to explain the history on this museum. The visit to the museum only takes an hour or two max. Give it the time.

Blackduff