Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Alsace- How long did you stay in these villages? (Ribeauville, Riquewihr & Dambach la Ville)

Search

Alsace- How long did you stay in these villages? (Ribeauville, Riquewihr & Dambach la Ville)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm planning to travel to Alsace in May. I am restricted to the amount of time I can spend in the villages along the Route du Vin, because I won't have a car & would have to depend on buses departing from Colmar.

To make things worse, I'll be there on a public holiday, May 25 -Ascension Day, and the buses won't run. So I'll have to cramp Ribeauville AND Riquewihr all in one afternoon the day before. Is it doable?

Colmar~Ribeauville 12:10pm~12:40pm
Ribeauville~Riquewihr 3:10pm~ 3:25pm
Riquewihr~Colmar 6:38pm~ 7:10pm

That'll give a little over 2 hrs in Ribeauville and about 3 hrs in Riquewihr. Is this way too rush? And won't allow any quick cellar visit and wine tastings?

Also, how is the 5km hike from Riquewihr to Ribeauville? Is it an easy walk with well marked signs for directions?

Welcome any comments and thank you for your help!!!
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 07:32 PM

IMO 2 hrs in Ribeauville is more than enough time. In fact I would skip it and add the time to Riquewihr... unless you love a town burbling with German tourists.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 11:06 PM

When I lived for a spell in Alsace, I went to both of these villages many times. Ribeauville is less touristy than Riquewihr, but that's not saying much because Riquewihr is the most visited village in France, largely due to German tourists. I like both villages but would not bother to visit EITHER on a public holiday: they will be jam-packed, and their real atmosphere will be hidden.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 09:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Obernai is the village to stay. Don't miss the Mont Sainte Odile nearby.