What to do in Strausburg?

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in Strausburg?

My husband and I will be going to Strausburg for 6 days in September. He'll be in business meeting all day (except Sunday) and I'll be on my own to do whatever is fun. We won't be renting a car, so everything needs to be on public transport.

Is there enough in Strausburg to keep me busy for a week? I've looked at a bunch of websites, but it seems like there isn't as much tourist stuff as I was anticipating - is it a fun city to just wander around? Are there any good day trips from there?

Thanks so much for all your help!
Gila
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 06:01 AM

Do you mean Strasbourg in France? I'll be there for a few days in early August, and plan to report back.

From memory, Colmar might be worth a visit - which you can certainly do by train - and/or touring vineyards. I've also found a few country walks that can be reached by train.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Strasbourg in France - I guess my husband's boss spelled it wrong, sorry!

I'll watch for your report, thanks.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 06:04 AM

I think a week is a bit much; I had a full day and saw most of what I wanted to. You could, however, visit the Wine Route or other nearby towns if you needed more stuff to do.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 06:37 AM

I would love 6 days in Strasburg, especially in September. As mentioned before there are day bus trips to the Wine Route and even Baden Baden and the Black Forest. You can usually get that information at your hotel lobby. Lucky you!
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 06:41 AM

I agree with others that a week to spend ONLY in Strasbourg is overly sufficient.

Take daytrips to the Wine route and the towns along the route. The old portion of Colmar is a nice town to daytrip to, as well. Baden Baden is also an excellent suggestion.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll start looking into it. It sounds like a day trip would probably be a good idea mid-week.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 08:20 AM

I strongly second the Baden-Baden recommendation. Until the end of October, you can take in a wonderful Chagall exhibition at the striking Frieder-Burda museum in BB.
http://www.sammlung-frieder-burda.de/index1.html
And, of course, there are the spas (go to Caracalla if you want to wear your bathing suit; to the Friedrichsbad if you want to try a nude spa--also note, the Caracalla has just been upgraded and renovated), the parks, the outdoor concerts, etc., the funicular (merkur bahn) up to the top of the mountain outside town. BB is easily reached by direct train from Strasbourg. From the BB train station, catch the bus into town (takes about 10 minutes, costs 2€ and they run frequently all day).
My husband was at the Chagall exhibit yesterday and said it was excellent. He also enjoy the permanent collections.
The NYTimes recently did an article on BB in its travel section, worth reading.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:14 AM

I don't think there is enough to do for six days for most people. There are lots of day trip possibilities. Aside from the above, you can easily get to Mulhouse by train, and Nancy. I would recommend Nancy as it has several good museums, including one of the best Art Nouveau museums existing, and has a lovely main square. I did a day trip there just by train from Strasbourg myself.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:16 AM

What to do in Strasbourg? In a word, EAT. And eat well. It rivals Paris and half of Italy as the culinary capital of Europe. I can't imagine spending a week there, however, unless your belt has plenty of extra holes.