France in February?

Search

France in February?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
France in February?

I'm heading to France for a week around Valentine's Day as a surprise trip for my boyfriend. I've been before in the summer, so I'm a little concerned as to how cold it will be, and what type of outer clothing I should be packing. Will it be too cold to sit outside at cafes, and generally what time will it be dark?
Any suggestions for romantic or trendy places to go would be welcomed.
Thanks!!
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 01:06 PM

..where in france? I have been in paris in february..the historic avg temps can be obtained from weather underground..can be damp and dreary and at times almost "raw", but at ohter times cool with brilliant sun ..other times grey and drizzly but 10ish C..just layer..a trench coat (or similar jacket which is water and wind proof, sweaters..and a woolen scarf (mufler) though every street seems to have someone who sells these...gloves too. it does get dark early but that doesnt spoil the fun..outdoor cafes ..probably not...but few crowds (except french school children have a winter break near this time so sometimes the galleries and museums will be crowded with people doing things with there kids..feb. is certainly different than summer but if you layer you will be fine..wear sturdy warm shoes but dont worry about snow unless in the alps.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 01:06 PM

France is a big country..You did not tell us where you are going.Besides, it is hard to predict the weather.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 01:08 PM

The short answer is, it depends. My experience in France in February has been mid 40's, some rain, maybe too cold to sit outside. My friend went for Valentine's this year and she said it was mid 50s, sunny - warmer than we experienced in California at the same time! You can expect it to get dark around 4:30 - 5:00pm, and for the sunrise to occur around 8:00am.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 01:09 PM

Whre in France are you going? It will be very cold in the Alps and possibly balmy in Provence.
I was in Paris one February in shirtsleeves. And in the Dordogne in February where it was freezing, rainy, and sleeting. Hard to predict.
Most cáfés won't be set up for outdoor seating at that time of year, though, no matter what part of France they're in, though some do have those enclosed "outdoor" spaces with heaters.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all!! I guess I didn't specify where exactly because I'm still trying to figure this out...I am thinking of staying in Paris for the week. Although, I could schedule in a few days for a side trip.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:00 AM

Feb. in Paris is by turns: sunny (rare), typically overcast, often light rain/misting, late sunrise, early dusk. If you have a long, wool/cashm. overcoat you will fit right in, and if it is black, you will pass for a 20 to 30-something local.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:22 AM

OTOH, you could get some really cold weather. On one Feb. afternoon in Paris I experienced wind, rain, snow, sleet, and lightning all within a four hour period.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:36 AM

in November, some of the terraces and cafe's had what I think are called "California heaters" outside...
(butane chimney things??) So I found myself unlayering just to sit outside and people watch...
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 02:37 AM

"Too Cold" is relative, somewhat. My husband and I (Alakans) find in very enjoyable outside, while the relatives (from Florida) look absolutely frozen in every picture! I should note they didn't hesitate to do another February trip the next year though. Plan on layering and you can't go wrong. Also, though some on fodors consider it unfashionable to wear a hat, a wool beret and lined gloves will make any time spent outdoors so much more enjoyable and can easily be slipped into a pack/purse when inside. We find a compact umbrella essential that time of year.

The wonderful thing about Paris is, there are so many inside activities (museums, collections, ballets, plays) that you can have tons of alternate plans for bad weather and still have a great experience. I'm also one of those who finds that almost any place in Paris is romantic, especially along the Seine and around the Tuileries/Louvre.

Have a wonderful time!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 11:35 AM

France's temps are about the same as the mid-Atlantic region of the US (Washington DC), for reference, most of the year. It's only in summer when they don't get as hot as here.

The sun sets around 6 pm in February, so it should be completely dark very shortly after that. It rises around 8 am.