France--immersion/ work-exchange?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of 6 is planning a trip to Italy & France for 2-3 weeks, but after putting so much effort into learning French, I'd personally like to stay longer. My daughter is 13 and would also like more immersion in France.
Any suggestions of how a couple of us could stay (maybe an extra week) without spending more? Is there any kind of work-exchange we could do??
We'll be mainly in Provence and Paris during our family time, but are not picky about our extended adventure--any brainstorming is welcome!
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 09:58 AM

Don't think you would legally be allowed to wrok in France.

I don't understand. Why not just go to a cheaper area of France, rent a place.. and save money that way?

What type of budget are we talking about?
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 08:45 AM

Forget some kind of work-exchange for a week's holiday, that isn't going to happen. I don't think that happens for anyone except students, anyway, not adults who want a cheap vacation. And surely you aren't thinking of your 13 yr old daughter getting some work-exchange, that would be illegal labor, I am sure.

Just stay in cheaper places, that's all.

I do know some places that you can do volunteer vacations and stay longer, but you pay them, they don't pay you. Like restoring old churches and things like that. Besides, they wouldn't allow children.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 10:18 AM

Is the Italy part of the trip non-negotiable with the rest of the family? Could you split up and you and your daughter spend more time in France while the others go to Italy, or would that not work out for you?
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 10:25 AM
wug

Here's a link that has a few options. As was already posted, they are volunteer positions and you so pay for it. Quite often, it's VERY in expensive. I'm not sure about a 13 year old though.

http://www.transitionsabroad.com/lis...msFrance.shtml
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 05:54 PM

The kind of position you're looking for is illegal for adult vacationers - and a 13 year old can't work. And what sort of job are you trained for that you could actually contribute with just a week's work?
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

I was just looking for brainstorming ideas. I was thinking about something like cleaning/cooking/painting/weeding--something that wouldn't take a lot of training. I work hard & learn fast, but I don't know--maybe it's not realistic. (Just to clarify--I'm not expecting to be paid, just thinking it would be fun to be taken in by a family, and contribute in exchange. I would expect my daughter's contribution to be smaller.)

We had a foreign exchange student at our home for 3 weeks last summer and were happy to host him just to get to know him. He ended up helping us paint a room for a few days, though we didn't require it.

So there isn't any such thing for grownups, I guess?