Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

France & Venice- ATMs, Travelers Cheques, cash?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you need traverlers cheques or just depend on ATMs and taking some Euros to get started, and using credit cards at restaurants, hotels, shops.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 09:03 AM

Use a credit card for what you can (hotel, restaunts,etc.). Get cash from an ATM for your small purchases. Travelers Checks are more difficult now, many banks won't exchange them.

I always take some euros with me, I know this costs more than using an ATM but I like to arrive with some cash. I usually exchange about $100 at the airport. There is a lot of discussion about this on here, if you perform a search for ATM, you'll find lots of opinions.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 09:06 AM

no, no one "needs" travelers checks, at least not in Western Europe.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 09:20 AM

We also take some euros with us and then use ATMs to get more.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 09:21 AM

Traveler's checks are obsolete. Use your ATM card. Call your bank before leaving to let them know it will be used abroad. Ask them to raise your daily limit if you think you'll need it.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 09:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Traveler's checks are in their final throes of existence. I think I bought my last precautionary ones more than 5 years ago.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 09:57 AM

When I was in Venice in October 2008 I had trouble finding an ATM near my hotel on the weekend that had not run out of money. I was staying in the Dorsodura district. I did not have similar problems on the weekdays. I finally found an ATM near San Marco. Something to keep in mind while planning your withdrawals and spending. I always use ATMS, so this is more of a heads up for Venice, since I had not run into this problem before in other European cities.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 09:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
No, you don't need traveler checks. They are very old fashioned and hard to use these days. For most people a combination of: ATM debit card, USD cash, and credit cards works best.

I think the one time TC's might be considered is if you had to pay for an apartment all at once and the landlord would accept them as payment.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 10:27 AM

I use credit cards for larger purchases and get cash with my debit card for everything else.

I don't buy Euros before I arrive; there are plenty of ATM's in the airport to use without losing any time. If your debit card has a Visa or MC logo on it, it will work at virtually any machine in Europe. Watch for exchange bureau machines, especially at the airport, that look just like ATM's, they work but cost significantly more (look for a machine that has bank in the name and avoid any machine with Ex or Exchange in the name).

Traveler's checks are worse than useless, you pay for them and then have to hunt for someone who will take them (usually only banks during banking hours).

I also bring a few hundred in US currency for emergencies that I can exchange in a pinch. It always comes home unexchanged.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 11:05 AM

Further to nytraveler's caution, I have often had difficulty getting cash from ATMs on Sundays in France and Italy, usually in the morning. I think there's some sort of electronic restocking or something going on for a few hours. Generally, later in the day I've had no problem getting cash. Now I try to remember to get cash Saturdays.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 11:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Whatever you choose, have a few different options. I don't think it's smart to rely on any one source (even an ATM debit card). I like a 'Plan B' in place at all times.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 11:17 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong...but the ATM machines work on Cirrus, PLUS,etc..not MV and VISA.

We are talking about taking cash out of a checking account.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 11:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You are wrong, Michel. The Visa and MasterCard logos are far more important than the Cirrus or Plus logos.

But a card with ANY of those logos will work in the machines, which is why the logos are displayed in the first place.

My French cards have only Visa and MC logos and not those other logos at all anyway. And they are debit cards.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 12:56 PM

Visa owns the Plus network, Mastercard owns the Cirrus/Maestro network. So, debit/ATM cards associated with either Cirrus/Ḿaestro or Plus should work in any French bank ATM.

Some US banks, in an effort to maximize profits, issue credit cards with PINs (these are not EMV or chipped cards) allowing you to make ATM withdrawals as a cash advance against your credit card account. The withdrawal becomes a high interest loan (at approximately 25%) starting at the time of the withdrawal and continuing until your entire credit card balance is paid in full. If you carry a month to month balance, accessing funds in this way can be very expensive.