Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Athen - Santorini - ? travel help please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Greece for 11 days next May - actually 9 days excluding the travel days. I have several questions about our plans in general.

WHERE TO SPEND OUR TIME!? We don't want to spend alot of our precious 9 days in Greece "traveling" to our various destinations (islands). I know from experience that can often chew up most of a day.
Originally I had thought to spend most of our time in Athens and do day trips then about 3 days in Santorini. After reading forums I’m having second thoughts about that plus I’d rather spend my evenings sitting on my balcony overlooking the beautiful Aegean than looking out over Athens from my hotel there – not that that won’t be great for a couple nights.

In early May would there be regular flights to Santorini on weekdays? We could fly to Santorini on Day 3. Spend 3 days there then take a ferry to another island but would we waste almost a day with that transportation? Or are the islands similar enough that we should just spend a couple extra days on Santorini? Is a 2nd island worth the transportation hassle with our limited time?

If we did ferry to another island from Santorini which island would you suggest? We're not into the wild nightlife. Mostly for us, we'd be looking for beautiful scenery and experiencing some wonderful Greek culture.

If we skipped a 2nd island and just spent more time on Santorini maybe we should take the ferry there just for the experience. Is the whole ferry experience worth it in itself – a way to see other islands at least from the ferry? In which case would you suggest the regular or high-speed?

Are there easy and short day-trips to other islands from Santorini?

I did see the day-trip cruise from ATHENS to Hydra, Poros and Egina. That would be a way to see other islands without the hassle of having to pack up and actually move to another island. Overall, it has gotten quite good reviews – any thoughts?

It seems the more I read the forums the more confused I get! Thank goodness I still have 9 months to plan! I really do want to make the most of this wonderful trip to Greece.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions ! – Sandy
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 07:15 AM

Sandy, several of us responded at length on a previous thread ... for your short visit, we had recommended flying out immediately, but you expressed qualms because of a 10:30 arrival and a 12:30 fly-out. Sandy, delays (aside from strikes ahem) are largely a factor of WHERE your plane change occurs. In Europe, it could happen. But if your flight is nonstop from the USA or N.America east coast, these flights are virtually NEVER late. Even if they are delayed as much as an hour taking off from JFK, Newark Phila, ATL, etc -- they have more than 9 hours to make that up. Believe me dear, I have done this 9 nine times, and the nonstop from US is always on time within minutes.

And Athens airport is ONE building ... you emerge from passport control & luggage claim, turn right, down the hall, hit an ATM for Euros, go up an escalator and VOILA! there are the check-in lines for Olympic and Aegean. Sooo, virtually no risk to do Santorini first and Athens last, and it's so much more time-efficient. Finally, you won't be that jet-lagged... and you'll save the wearying in-out journey to busy athens, and instead, you'll have your first night's sunset on a gorgeous island.

If you want some help entangling your itinerary before you query the Forum on specifics of hotels & sightseeing, click my name & email me and we can clarify things. Don't get yourself tied up in knots; it can work, really.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 07:33 AM

There are several flights each day between Athens and Santorini on Aegean Arlines and Olympic Air. Sign up for the Aegean Airlines email newsletter and you'll be notified a couple of months in advance when they release their saver fares for May. These tickets are almost as cheap as the basic economy class ferry tickets, all taxes included.

There is no island that's similar to Santorini, it is very unique. Islands closest to Santorini by regular ferry are Ios, Naxos and Paros. Daytrips in early May to nearby islands are difficult to accomplish because the ferry system is not yet in full summer mode, meaning the frequency of departing and arriving ferries is less than later on.

Ask yourselves if the ferry experience is really worth your time. It will eat up most of a day by the time you get to your hotel. For me the only part of the trip that makes it memorable is the entrance into Santorini's caldera, but it is interesting (once) to stand out on the deck and watch the ferry docking at the other 3 islands on the way to Santorini.

If you decide to stay on another island that's where you could get your ferrying experience. Take the ferry there from Santorini. You can then take another ferry back to Athens in just a few hours. I recommend Paros. There's plenty to see and do there and it provides a good contrast to Santorini.

The daytrip to the various Saronic Islands doesn't give you a chance to explore them, but if you're satisfied with just briefly seeing them then it might be what you should do.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

The last time we traveled to Europe from the US we missed our connection in Amsterdam due to flight delays. Luckily we were booked all the way through to Munich so they took care of putting us on another flight. I guess we haven't been as fortunate as you with on time flights. Another time we sat on the runway for 2 HOURS before takeoff as they had to find and remove a checked bag for a passenger not on-board. I know the first week of May is considered off-season in Greece so I'm not confident of how many Athens-Santorini flights will be available. Thanks for your lovely comments though.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 11:18 AM

May isn't really off-season, and there will probably be at least 6-8 flights daily between Aegean Airlines, Olympic Air, and Athens Airways. Then you have ferries as well, so getting to Santorini will be no problem.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 11:41 AM

" know the first week of May is considered off-season in Greece.............."

Tourist season in Greece opens unofficially on the weekend of Greek Easter. In 2011 that's April 24.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 04:49 PM

Sanda did you read what I wrote, or not?

I said that if your only connection is in the USA, and your Athens flight is nonstop from east coast USA, you will not experience any delay. And then you tell me about an amsterdam problem in the past. Do you have a Europe connection or not? If you have not booked y our flight for Next May (and who would, at this point), I urge you to book a flight that is nonstop from East coast USA> There is Delta from NYC and Atlanta, USAir from Philly, Continental from Newark, And something from Montreal. Olympic may also go from NYC by next may.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

travelerjan did you read what I wrote, or not?

Obviously if my concern is making the connection in Athens to Santorini that would constitute a connection in Europe. Get it? If my flight is delayed coming from the States I could miss that connection. For you to say that flights are never late means you either work for the airlines and feel you need to defend them or you don't travel much. As far as who would reserve their tickets nine months in advance - anyone who is using frequent flyer miles - that's who.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 06:45 PM

No no, I meant did your flight TO athens have several parts. I was NOT referring to making the connection to Santorini in the Athens airport itself.

I did not say that flights into Athens are never delayed. I did say, that flights nonstop out of JFK, NEWARK, PHL, ATL for morning arrival in Athens (9 -10 am) are virtually never late. I have taken Olympic and Delta non-stops out of NYC 5 times and US Air out of PHL 3 times .... they all have arrived on the dot. Others report the same experience. Therefore, I have very often taken domestic flights 2 - 3 hours after arrival. That's all i meant.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 08:56 AM

Hey Sanda24 Coming off a trans for the connection, it's a good idea to give yourself a good 3 hour spread..just to cover in case of any delays! Although I may be in the 'hundreds' at this point..I've definitely flown the direct route out of JFK dozens of times on Old Olympic..another few dozen on TWA it's in day..a few on Delta but with that horrid terminal try to avoid it;-) JFK can be notorious for back-ups/delays..Bottom line, these flights do arrive pretty much on time..for the most part..but of course, not always so best you can do is give yourself a good time spread and hope you're not 37 or something on a backed-up runaway! Have fun..and EnjoY!
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 01:12 PM

Bookmarking