France and Germany?

Search

France and Germany?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 03:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
France and Germany?

We are planning a 14 day trip - five nights in Paris (and I would love to fit in Giverny or Nice). Our friends want to see Germany, no particular region, just Germany. Can anyone suggest a reasonable itinerary that won't have the four of us spending too much time traveling between the two countries?

For those who love Germany, what are the must sees. Having never been to Europe, I don't know how ambitious this trip is...

Thanks for all your help...

NannyJan
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 03:42 AM

The time of year you will be traveling and your interests will make a difference as to suggested destinations in Germany.

If you aren't going in winter, one suggestion would be to rent a car and drive to Trier on the Mosel River. It's only about a 4 hour drive, and the Mosel is beautiful from the spring into the autumn. There are many nice towns (as well as the city of Trier itself) that you might find enjoyable.

This is only one of many possibilities, depending, again, on your interests and the time of year you'll be there.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

We will be going in mid to late September of 06. We are in our 50's, enjoy walking and sight seeing, but nothing too extreme or adventurous! Our friends are interested in German food and history. I am looking forward to exploring the "artsy" France.

Thanks for the response.

NannyJan
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 04:52 AM

Nanny - will you be travelling by car?
Thought 1) Nice is pretty much out of the way, if you plan to stick to France-Germany itinerary. Thought 2) If I were doing this trip I would spend a week in Paris (including Giverny and other day trips) then flying or training to Germany(either the Rhine-Mosel area or Bavaria)and renting a car and exploring the area spending 2-3 nights in several towns. Have a wonderful trip.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 05:23 AM
ira

Hi N,

For a first visit, I suggest a week in Paris, especially if you want to fit in a daytrip or two.

Nice is 6 hr from Paris. I suggest that you save it for when you want to visit France and Italy.

You might want to do a one-day cruise on the Rhine.

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 05:50 AM

I'd offer this idea for your consideration...

Head for the Alsace region of France which borders Germany at the Rhine. Journey from scenic Strasbourg via the Route du Vin and then go over to scenic Freiburg and the Black Forest. You can do a 3-4 day loop in a rental car, starting and ending in Strasbourg.

Not only is this a "reasonable itinerary", it's an interesting and a beautiful one!
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Hadn't thought about a car...was thinking train travel, but a car might prove fun.

Thanks for the tips!