Search

Germany

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Germany

Hello,

My family of four wishes to travel Germany for a week or so July 2013. We would love to rent an apartment centrally located and take day trips from there so we could come back to the same apartment each night.

Do you have suggestions as to which city or village we should rent the apartment so we can see several of the main highlights in Germany?

Thank you,

Diane from Canada
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 10:57 AM

Hi Diane,

A suggestion or two. Identifying your requirements in the title helps people who can answer your questions. Titles of France or Germany don't say anything about what you want.

I see you're traveling to France and Germany for a week each. Perhaps you should put all your travel questions in one thread and people will see that you want to visit both France and Germany and can advise appropriately.

In your other thread you wanted to visit southern France but now knowing you also want to see Germany we could make some suggestions that would encompass the northern part of France so you can easily transition into Germany without using a vacation day for travel.

It seems that you have no knowledge of France or Germany. Understanding the size and culture and what the major areas are like before your trip would help you to better choose locations and better enjoy yourselves.

Neither Germany nor France are small enough to choose a "central" location and visit the rest of the country. It's like saying give me a central point to stay in Ontario so I can visit that provence.

My suggestions:

Paris - 5 days
Strasbourg - 2 to 3 days
Munich and other small Bavarian towns - 7 days

Fly into Paris and home from Munich.

Best of luck with your planning.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 10:59 AM

Hi Diane,

A suggestion or two. Identifying your requirements in the title helps people who can answer your questions. Titles of France or Germany don't say anything about what you want.

I see you're traveling to France and Germany for a week each. Perhaps you should put all your travel questions in one thread and people will see that you want to visit both France and Germany and can advise appropriately.

In your other thread you wanted to visit southern France but now knowing you also want to see Germany we could make some suggestions that would encompass the northern part of France so you can easily transition into Germany without using a vacation day for travel.

It seems that you have no knowledge of France or Germany. Understanding the size and culture and what the major areas are like before your trip would help you to better choose locations and better enjoy yourselves.

Neither Germany nor France are small enough to choose a "central" location and visit the rest of the country. It's like saying give me a central point to stay in Ontario so I can visit that provence.

My suggestions:

Paris - 5 days
Strasbourg - 2 to 3 days
Munich and other small Bavarian towns - 7 days

Fly into Paris and home from Munich.

Best of luck with your planning.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Hello,

Yes, my family will be travelling both to France & Germany among other countries but I am trying to apply "chunking" to try and make sense of this journey. Once I have more details about each country, I will post the completed 6 week itinerary for fine tuning.

I like your idea of flying into Paris and using that as a base to see Paris itself, northern France and then head to Luxembourg for a few days to visit friends. After that we will head to Germany. (Perhaps we will have to see southern France on our way home should we travel in a loop.)

Using Munich as a base for 4 nights, we would like to see Neuschwanstein Castle (Bavarian Alps), Eagles Nest, and Dachau Concentration Camp.

Using Heidelberg as a base for 3 nights, we would like to visit a few castles on the castle road on our way to Prague.

Oh ... my head is spinnig.

Thank you for your help.

Diane
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 12:59 PM

It would help if you would tell us where you arrive in Europe, where you depart from, how much total time you would have in Europe, and what places and dates (such as visiting friends in Luxembourg) are "set in stone."