Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stratgey for Flying Overnight with Child?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'll be flying to London overnight next week with my 5 year old, and wonder what sort of strategy can we employ to ensure he's not completely exhausted on our first day? We're leaving Canada at 11:30pm (our time), and landing in Heathrow at 11:15am (London time) (though I have never yet landed on time at Heathrow! ;-)

Do we try and get him to nap earlier in the day? Do we instead keep him up so that he is more likely to sleep on the plane (he;'s quite excited at being on the plane)? Something else? Anyone's who's done this before, and who has any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I should note we're not willing to give him cough syrup or some other suggestions I've seen, in an effort to medicate him to sleep.

Thanks,

Mike
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:46 PM

Mike,

Being as how you will be flying well past his bed time, I doubt that you will be long in the air before he falls sound asleep with the drone of the engines. Maybe give him some warm milk and cookies after you get on the plane, and ask the flight attendant for a blanket and pillow. Youngsters adapt easier to jet lag that do older people so I think the exhaustion at the other end will most likely be yours rather than his. Don't forget his favorite ball and/or toy and/or books.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 05:30 AM
ira

topping
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 05:47 AM

He'll sleep. The hum of the engine, the blankie, and the darkened cabin will put him right out. I couldn't even wake mine up to eat dinner.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 05:58 AM

Depending on your child napping might be a good thing, if you can get him to nap. Before boarding we put our boys in their pajamas. We also talk about what is going to happen on the plane and set some rules depending on how tired they are -- this winter we took off at 10:45 with our 5 year old and told him he was going to rest during take off and as expected he fell asleep all night. Other times we've allowed dinner or dinner and a movie, obviously depending on the time and their moods. When you are on the plane I think keeping your child calm is key. I wouldn't plan on too much the first day, be flexible depending on how tired he is(and you too), and try to schedule some outdoor activity to help acclimate.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - really great advice. As you've suggested, between talking about it in advance, pjs, some darkness, blankets and a pillow, I suspect all will be well. It will be his ancient parents that will be bleary eyed!

Thanks again!
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 12:44 PM

When I flew overnight to London there were quite a few families with small children. Several of them had those portable DVD players with headsets. The kids all fell asleep during the movies! I think if you bring an old favorite it will help them to drift off.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 11:36 AM

Have travelled many times with 2 kids back and forth to London Always tried to get the bulk head seat if possible. We would try to put our kids on a modified England time-supper an hour earlier bed a little earlier and up earlier. Probably wasn't necessary as they coped very well! Please don't feed them candy and if your are flying Air Canada they were as of last week handing out Topler bars to the kids!
Believe me overnight is much easier than during the day. On a longer trip to Rome the kids 'camped out' at our feet with little sleeping bags that they had with them That was loads of fun. Best of luck Enjoy!