Four nights too long in Rhine/Mosel area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you think that 4 nights based in Bleinstein is too long? This is part of an itinerary that includes other areas of Germany as well as Amsterdam and Brugge. We would like to see Burg Eltz, take a KD cruise, and probably go to Trier. Maybe 3 nights would be sufficient? We'll arrive the first day about noon and then have 2 full days of touring.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 11:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear Lily:

3 nights would probably be enough, but 4 would allow you more time to enjoy your surroundings and not be rushed. The Moselle is beautiful. Enjoy!!

MY
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 12:39 PM

You do not say how long your trip is going to be. That would determine how long you would want to stay in this area. We enjoy the Moselle area and have been back on a second trip, but I would still think 3 nights should do it. Another thing you did not mention is if you were arriving in Europe and going to the Moselle or if you would already be adapted to jet lag. If this is your first stop, you may want the extra day to adjust to the time.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

We'll have already been in Europe for a week on an 18 day trip.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 01:55 PM

Lily, I think 4 nights in Beilstein is too long but not for the Mosele Valley.

I was in Cochem in September of this year and stayed 4 nights. Cochem is a bigger town then Beilstein which is more like a sleepy little town. There is more variety and the shops and restaurants stay open longer.

There is so much to do in this area. I was so busy we never got to see the castle in Cochem. Take the boat down the Mosele to Beilstein and go up to the castle. Rent bikes another day and ride along the banks of the river. Go to Burg Eltz another day. Trier is another destination easily driven to from Cochem.

There is more variety in Cochem that makes it a better choice. 4 days on the Mosele is not too long.

Enjoy your trip.

Gail
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 02:08 PM
aggiemom

I agree with grosenb. Four nights in the Mosel is great but I think 4 nights in Beilstein will be a little too much.

I was in Beilstein in May and it is a lovely, lovely town but very small. Suggestion of staying in Cochem is a good idea.

Old Dec 29th, 2005, 02:10 PM
aggiemom

Forgot to add:

Especially if you will be seeing both the Rhine and Mosel during this stay, I would suggest four nights would be excellent.

Old Dec 29th, 2005, 03:41 PM
ltr

We stayed on the Rhine (Boppard)for 4 days on our first trip to Germany. We loved the area so much that we plan on spending 5 more days there on our next trip. We had a car and went to Trier one day. There are so many little towns and castles to see in the area, you should not run out of thing sto see.

We preferred to stay in one place for a few days and make day trips, rather than move frequently. Driving was not difficult and we didn't have to pack and unpack everything.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the feedback. We also do not like to pack up and move too often and that was one of the reasons we were going to stay 4 nights in the area but I think we will stay in Cochem instead.