Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

3 Nights Between Heidelberg & Koln - Any Suggestions?

Notices

Old Feb 18th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - We'll be in Heidelberg for 3 nights in late July, then flying our of Koln 4 days later. I was thinking of Nurnberg & Bamberg, but the 4+ hours on the train back to Koln would be too much. So we have 3 nights to spend before our last night in Koln (already booked a hotel by the Hbf, then S-Bahn to Airport in the AM); we're Mom & Dad, 19 y.o. son, 17 & 14 y.o. daughters, taking Die Bahn everywhere.

Would want 2 different places, one for a night and the other for 2 (don't want to pack & unpack too much). Thinking of Mainz, Dusseldorf, would like to see Rudesheim, but not sure of train connection.

Would appreciate any suggestions- Thanks!
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 01:23 PM

Bad Wimpfen is a short hop (less than an hour, no changes) from Heidelburg by train, you could extend your stay in Heidelburg another night and day trip there. Cuts down on the packing and unpacking.

Trier is another option, 2.5 (or so) hours from Cologne, 3.5 hours from Heidelberg. You could easily spend two nights there. Koblenz is the third option that comes to mind.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 01:23 PM

Yes, I know it's spelled Heidelberg.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 01:46 PM

All this screams "Middle Rhine and Mosel Valley". There are countless threads about that area on this board, please look them up with the help of the search function.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 03:57 PM

Yes, I agree with Middle Rhine/Mosel River areas. Cochem, Beilstein, Bacarach, St. Goar, Bernkastel-Kues, so many wonderful places to visit.

I also agree that Trier is a great place to spend a couple of days, but you could also do a day trip to Trier if you stayed somewhere on the Mosel River.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 05:38 PM

I also agree with visiting Bad Wimpfen. It's a beautiful little town that we fell in love with a couple of years ago when we spent 3 nights there.

There are two 13th century towers as well as the ruins of the Imperial Palace plus some lovely 16th century houses, shops, etc.

Definitely worth a visit.

www.badwimpfen.de/showpage.php?lang=2