Four days in Munich - Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have just booked our flights to Munich. We'll have four days there at Easter (almost full days, because we arrive at 11,30 a.m the first day).
I have been doing some research and it's quite a lot of beautiful places to see in and around Munich.
How many days would be advisable to stay in Munich the full day?
We would like to rent a car at least one-two days. But would it be worth to stay one night (perhaps the first night) at another town? I was thinking of Bamberg/Bayreuth/Nürnberg.
Is Hauptbanhof area in Munich an advisable location for a hotel?
Too many questions, I know... Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 05:12 PM

I've stayed near the train station a couple of times. I'd say it was a little iffy only in that it wasn't glamorous, but I felt perfectly safe. Both hotels were inexpensive, but like every German hotel I've ever stayed in, perfectly clean and comfortable, even charming.

Munich is a very walkable city, so you'll have lots to see. If you don't have time for a lot of museums, I'd at least suggest that you go to the Schatzkammer (Treasury) in the Residenz to see the gorgeous, truly amazing and beautiful statue of St. George slaying the dragon.

There are also some lovely churches in the pedestrian zone of the city.

I haven't been to Bayreuth, but both Nürnberg and Bamberg are charming towns, though I'd recommend definitely Bamberg over Nürnberg. It's really beautiful and very walkable--lots of sidewalk cafes. An especially nice walk follows the river in the center of town.

We stayed at the Romantik Hotel Messerschmidt, which was lovely, and we also dined in the restaurnt there twice. I believe the restaurant is rated highly in Zagat's. (Am I spelling that right?) Anyway, it was very good.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 10:09 PM

I've also stayed near the train station and think the area is fine - and could be a big plus since you're planning day trips.

Consider a day trip to Salzburg - it was a highlight of our trip. I'd also recommend a half-day for Dachau.

Have a great trip!
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 11:14 PM

donīt miss fussen. loved it!
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 05:20 AM

We stayed both at the Hotel Uhland (a nice family-run place) and the Hotel Kempinski at the aiport (wow!) last year.

The nice thing about the Kempinski, we could just walk to the gate from our room.

I do recommend Dachau. We took a tour of a couple of King Ludwigs castles as well.

Old Dec 15th, 2006, 05:51 AM

Four days in Munich? Or is it two days in Munich, and two days traveling by car? Big difference in planning. So much to do in and around Munich you should stay there.

I would use Munich as your base for 4 days. I would stay in the alstadt, maybe the Splendid Dollman in the Lehel area, great spot to be. Pick one hotel and stay there.

Munich alstadt, Marienplatz, 7 beautiful churches, Deutsches museum, Dachau concentration camp, restaurants and beer and food out the gazoo, huge Viktualien market, Nymphenburg palace, on and on. Could easily spend a week.

I would not rent a car. Don't need one at all for this trip. Even if you went to Bamberg for the day (about 90min each way by train) don't need the car, hastle, expense, or worry about weather, traffic etc. You are hitting the sites, not the boon docks.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

I have collected very good ideas. I will really try to go to Bamberg, but I keep planning about going by car. We both like driving and it is the best way to make unplanned stops (which sometimes do the best of a travel). It is not really a long distance and on the return trip to Munich, perhaps we could make a stop at Nurnberg, if there is time to do it.
Perhaps it could be something like that:
Day 1: Arrival at airport and fetch the car. Go to Bamberg and stay there.
Day 2: Travel back to Munich, with a stop at Nürnberg. Check in at Munich Hotel and do some Munich sightseeing in the afternoon.
Day 3: Not sure if going to Salzburg or, instead of this, try to do the Schloss.
Day 4: Stay at Munich and enjoy the city.
Day 5: Take the plane back home.

Any thoughts about this plan?
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 08:41 PM

Be advised that the Autobahns around Munich can be really awful, just jammed with cars, so that traveling near there can be time-consuming. I think it can be comparable to L.A. at times. Aside from that, the Autobahns don't offer much in the way of scenery unless you're further south. I'd take the train.
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 08:23 AM

Filloa...you said "We both like driving and it is the best way to make unplanned stops"

If you drive from Munichs airport to Bamberg, then Nurnberg, make additional unplanned stops, then back to Munich in one 24 hour period over Easter Holliday Weekend, I am betting you will make more than one 'unplanned stop'. And it won't be the kind you planned on.

But then you have to do what you have to do. And besides, I am a 'train guy' who never quite gets the whole 'I need a car' thing in Europe.
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 08:36 AM
MaureenB

We also loved the Hotel Uhland in Munich. It's an easy ten-minute walk to the train station, and is a charming little B&B hotel in a quiet tree-lined neighborhood. There are nice little restaurants and pubs in its immediate vicinity, which is across the street from the Oktoberfest park. Free use of their bikes is fun to ride down along the river.

From Munich, it's easy to take day-trips by train to Salzburg and Fussen. Each is about 2 hours away by train, and the Bayern Pass is a cheap way to go. I agree about not renting a car when there is such great train service there.
>-

Old Dec 16th, 2006, 09:28 AM

Please allot two full days for Munich--there's a great deal to see.
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 09:35 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Please heed what has already been said about using the trains instead of driving. I'm not a "Munich Pro" like some of the other posters - have only been there twice. But you are going at a REALLY busy time. Easter is a major travel time for many Europeans and the traffic can be horrendous. If you are thinking of nice quiet drives on country lanes w/ scenic stops along the way - nope. You will find traffic jams in any scenic area. Just not worth the hassle IMHO . . . .
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Well, the train friends' club is growing fast! Ok, at least, I won't make a car booking in advance, but I will wait to arrive to Munich and see if train is convenient for us.
I come from the most dangerous traffic area in Spain, so sometimes I don't even consider traffic as a problem. Now, I am not living at that area, but all my family live there and they have the most expensive car insurance in the whole country!
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 11:38 AM

For a great meal, try the Augustiner-Braueri on Marien Platz...really good traditional food & good service. And, I agree w/ the other post Dachau is definitely worth a visit. It is an easy train ride from Munich.