Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Found Stylish Walking Boots with a 2.5 in heel

Feb 24th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

I've posted this elsewhere but I had trouble finding this info when I did a search last Dec -- most postings said it was impossible to find, not to worry about it, or suggested 9 west cloud nine. I always wear heels, 2.5 inch minimum, period. I was still on my feet in Italy feeling great and ready to go when my traveling companion was complaining about his feet hurting. I was very patient and understanding (if not a little smug)...

I loved my Aquatalia boots from Nordstrom ($119 on sale from $230)-- red, completley water-proof suede with a 2 1/2 inch black rubber heel and decent tread with cushioned insole. They don't look like walking shoes at all --style name, Julie.

I walked all over London, Paris, Milan, and Florence this winter in these great boots without a single hitch, whether on cobblestone or brick-paved roads, even icy pavement in Milan. (I took 3 cabs total so you can trust that I was walking a lot...) Worked great with both jeans and black dress pants, but I still had to bring knee-high 3.5 in heel black leather boots for dressing up in the evenings. Aquatalia run true to size, for Santana Canada boots (incredibly warm and waterproof, also offers boots with 2 inch heels) go up one full size. I really like these 2 brands (I live in Chicago) because they offer several styles of very comfortable waterproof leather boots that don't look like orthopedic shoes or hiking boots (although they make these too). I've had better luck with aquatalia than santana -- santanas offer too much insulation/lining to be practical for most climates.

Feb 24th, 2006, 09:45 AM

Hi fishee, that is great that your Aquatalia boots worked for you. I have a pair (different style than yours) that I too purchased at Nordstrom's but at full price. I am sad to say they are not comfortable if I have to do a lot of walking. So I only wear them if I will be at a restaurant, someone's house etc.

Continue enjoying yours!!
Feb 24th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

I agree it varies by style and you have to try them on and walk around the store as much as possible. I really like the high arch and rubber soles of my boots -- it feels like they are propelling me forward if that makes any sense. I tried on around 6 different pair before finding something that worked for me.

Nordstroms has a great return policy --I see "refurbished" Italian shoes at Nordstrom Rack all the time, re-soled when people return after wearing them and finding them uncomfortable, whatever. I fully intended to return my boots (even at sale price) if they hurt my feet in Europe -- saved the receipt and box.
Feb 24th, 2006, 10:28 AM

I wonder how they would feel after 10 miles of a rocky alpine trail complete with snow banks, scree surfaces, mud, and big rocks?
Feb 24th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Um, maybe get a hiking boot.

Fortunately, walking around in London, Paris, Milan and Florence (oh, did I mention which cities I was talking about?) was not like climbing Mt. Everest or crossing the Sahara (although you do have to traverse past ominous piles of dog s***.) But I'll be sure to ask you about footwear when I lose my mind and endeavor to do these things. I'm jesting of course, I'm sure it's quite thrilling to do "these outdoors in the natural world where things don't go on sale" kind of activities. I love Yosemite and Lake Tahoe myself.
Feb 24th, 2006, 11:11 AM

I just got back from lunch in 3 in. heels. I misunderstood what the plans were and walked the mile there and the mile back, over cobblestones, and am happy to say that they held out and my feet did, too. Enzo Angiolini is a genius!

Claire
Feb 24th, 2006, 12:58 PM

Hi fishee, you are correct, I should have returned the boots. But right after I purchased them I moved and sold my house, than there was a family reunion. It took me a few times wearing them to figure out they didn't work well. No Nordstrom's around where I live (well there is one in Sacramento but I didn't know that, LOL) so one of the few times I have footwear I am not happy with..but they are OK for restaurants etc.

Your Aquatalia sound wonderful.
Feb 24th, 2006, 01:27 PM

Yes, my pimp loves these boots. But they're not for walking anything but the "stroll."
Feb 24th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

I don't know what demographic constitutes your clientele, but if these are the boots you're "working" in, I'd really step it up around three notches. Padded insoles and rubber tread (even if they're Italian made) are really not all that sexy...