Women's hiking shoes

Search

Women's hiking shoes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Women's hiking shoes

Can anyone recommend a specific hiking shoe they like? Will low cut hiking shoes give me adequate ankle support for moderate hiking in the Alps or would you recommend high tops for best ankle support?
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 09:39 AM

What is a great hiking shoe for one person may be torture for another. It depends on the shape of your foot. "Backpacking" magazine had a very good review of this in this month's edition. I usually wear low cut shoes and find them perfectly adequate and actually more comfortable than the traditional boot. I wear my boots more for when I want extra warmth which could be a consideration in the Alps depending on your elevation and time of year. Definitely would bring the collapsable type of hiking poles that look like ski poles. They are invaluable.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 09:42 AM

my wife won.t go anywhere without her low-cut ecco hikers. an addede plus is the goretex lining for dry feet
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 01:17 PM

I agree that everyone needs to find what is right for their feet...but I will also say that several of our friends have all bought Lowa's boots and they are amazingly comfortable. Basically no break-in period! I would definitely recommend at least a mid-high for ankle support. I purchased my Lowa's at REI...but you can check the website at www.lowaboots.com for stores in your area.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 08:36 AM

Go to a good outdoors store where they have staff who actually know what they're doing (can be hard to find, I know). That's your best bet. While you can sometimes find knowledge staff at places like REI, I usually have the best luck at small independent shops where the owner is often the one waiting on you.<BR><BR>Also, your boots should require no break-in period. Good boots should feel good the first time you wear them.<BR><BR>I like my Eccos (high tops), and I also like my pair of Vasque. I need the high tops because I have a tendancy to roll over on my ankle. My husband loves his Timberlands for hiking, but I've found them uncomfortable, so it really depends on your feet.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 08:44 AM

I can also recommend Lowa. You definitely need high tops if you'll be doing anything more than just an hour or so strolling from a cable car station. I've literally hiked one end of the Swiss Alps to the other and my Lowa's were great from day one, with awesome grip on those slippery rocks and logs.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 09:02 AM

Scarpa's are the best hiking boots without a doubt. They are Italian hiking boots that do both male and female versions. Hiking boots should give you ankle support if you are going to be on any kind of uneven surface or slopes. Please bear in mind that women tend to have narrower ankles than men, and most boots don't take this into account. The boots should have Goretex (or other breathable waterproofing) in case of needing to cross streams (even if you are just hopping across rocks it is nice to know you won't have to slosh around in wet boots if you slip!) Enough room in the toe-box that when you are going downhill you won't rub rub rub. Arch support is also key, if you are going to be using them for a few hours at a time. If you like hiking, my suggestion is to get the best and most comfortable boots you can afford and consider it an investment into your future hiking happiness. Everytime I put my boots on, my husband gets sick of hearing me say how much I love my boots. He will wear his tennis shoes for hiking sometimes, but then regret not using his boots. But then again, we love to take hiking holidays... Our Scarpa's would take us from our moderate hiking to serious mountain scrambles. From day one, we have used them for many wonderful trips and have NEVER had a blister or sore anything. Our boots have gone with us from Scotland to the Alps, South Africa to Utah, English Lake District to French Pyrenees, etc. etc. I can highly recommend them.