Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

For those who enjoy fashion and posts related to it (caveat curmudgeons!)--a handbag question

Search

For those who enjoy fashion and posts related to it (caveat curmudgeons!)--a handbag question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 05:18 AM
elle

WARNING: This post is intended for women who swoon over accessories only. Anyone who finds such obsessions shallow and nauseating--enter at your own risk.<BR><BR>So I saw this pomegranate-colored Lancel bag in T. J. Maxx yesterday for $39. Not much leather, mostly lightweight nylon.<BR><BR>The only reason I didn't buy it was that it was truly a &quot;hand&quot; bag, with short strap. I carry such bags here, but prefer shoulder bags when I travel. And while I prefer nylon bags when I travel, I like heavier leather bags here. So in other words, it was not the ideal bag--wrong strap for traveling, wrong material for home. But it was yummy and now I'm having second thoughts about leaving it behind.<BR><BR>What to do, what to do?

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 05:24 AM
elephant

ELLE:<BR>If you are dreaming about this handbag or even thinking about it once you left the mall then obviously you NEED to go nad get it!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 05:26 AM
elaine

here's my opinion<BR>a nylon bag is a nylon bag, despite the great color and the chic name.<BR>I just don't think $39 is that much of a bargain for a nylon bag, especially if the style of the straps is wrong.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 05:29 AM
elle

elaine--that's what I was thinking, and that's why I left without buying the bag. It's the color that I'm obsessing over. <BR><BR>Perhaps I'll use the &quot;it was fate&quot; approach. I'll wait two weeks and if it's still there, I was meant to have it. If it's gone, I was not meant to have it (I've saved a lot of money this way )

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 05:34 AM
NYGirl

Get it! Two years ago at Saks, I bought a Pucci print handbag. It sat in the closet too bright and colorful to come out-even on the brightest summer day-<BR>This summer-Pucci prints are back Big! The bag is so excited, it will get to go out practically every day!<BR>Bags are good that way-they are content to sit in the closet and wait until their days comes

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 06:19 AM
handbag lover

Get that handbag! You won't quit thinking about it until you buy it.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 06:23 AM
Lisa

<BR>Elle:<BR>You need to do your part to help the economy! Go get it and enjoy.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 06:27 AM
Betsy

Here's what I'd do, Elle. Run, don't walk, back over to the store praying the bag will still be there. Buy the thing and hang on to your receipt. If, in two weeks, you've decided that you don't want it, take it back! It's a no-brainer! Keep us posted.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 06:36 AM
MaryC

LOL - NYGirl! Every bag has its day!! : )<BR><BR>Cute thread, elle, thank you - brought a smile to my day. : 0 )

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 09:11 AM
SharonG

Buy the bag. I did the same thing with a bag at TJ Maxx in Tennessee. It was from Italy, all leather, lovely, black and tan. Didn't buy it cause I thought it was too expensive but kept thinking about it. Went home to NYC for Christmas and, lo and behold, the same bag at the TJ Maxx in NYC but it was dark red and tan. Had to be a sign from God. Bought it, love it, use it everyday and people are constantly telling me they love the bag. GET IT NOW!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 09:33 AM
LJ

I am not a very spontaneous person and have more and more come to regret this (I am early fifties now). Seems like I regret more the things I did not do (or buy) than those I did...you go, Girl!!!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 10:02 AM
elle

I bought the bag.<BR><BR>(Did any of you doubt that I would ). It's quite the practical bag, very roomy, with a zipper and inside zipper pockets. It folds up nicely. The bottom is square, but the four sides rise and converge into a two-sided top. I can fit books and workbooks into it, and while it is definitely not a shoulder bag, the strap is long enough so that I can slip it over my shoulder if I need to.<BR><BR>Best of all (from my perspective), it's not black. I have so many solid black bags and I really hate to use some of them once the weather gets warm. This bag will look very nice with tans and creams (although the manufacturer calls the color &quot;Berlingot,&quot; not pomegranate).<BR><BR>I don't know if this is true for all T. J. Maxx store, but the one I frequent has an incredible handbag selection right now. I saw two other Lancel bags--including a dark blue leather hobo bag--several Coaches, Via Spiga, Dooney &amp; Bourke, and a really wonderful purple bag from an Australian company called Orton. <BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 10:30 AM
Betsy

What section of the country are you in, Elle. I might have to dash over to the nearest TJ Maxx, in Cupertino, CA!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Erin

Elle- Congrats on scooping up that bag. I was just at TJMaxx at lunch (before reading this post). I have a TJ right by my work in a kind of out of the way place- it doesn't get much traffic, so I usually find good stuff. No good bags today though- sigh. Maybe you could use your new find as a carry on?