Rome or Cinque Terre?

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 11:50 AM
angie

Rome or Cinque Terre?

We will be in Italy for 8 days in March, based in Florence/Siena. We would like to spend 2-3 days in one other place (already been to Venice). Would you recommend Rome or CQ? We like beautiful scenery as well as great cities. Thanks!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 12:03 PM
loveitalia

Cinque Terre is closer to Firenze & Siena than Rome, but probably less to see and "do" in CT than in Rome. It really depends on what kind of travelers you are. If you are up for more city-based, cultural things, exhibits, etc. I would recommend Rome because of the variety of places to see and do in and around the city. Otherwise, head for Liguria and do some hiking in the CT! Buon viaggio!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Alan

It depends on what is important to you. Rome has tons of historic sites and was the center of the Western world. However, if you don't care about St Peters, think a fountain is just a fountain, then skip it. It's a big city and doesn't have the feel of the countryside (which to me is the feel of Italy).

Some may find CT boring, just hiking around and eating at little cafes. What's the big deal, right? I thought CT was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been, and the early morning hikes I took will always be remembered. It was one of my favorite things that I did in Italy.

I'm glad I went to Rome, but when I return to Italy I'll skip it. I will go back to CT, Umbria, Tuscany (inc. Siena), and Verona if I can.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 03:32 PM
Angie

Alan,

How would you compare CT to the Amalfi coast? How much time did you spend there? What month were you there? Thanks.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 03:54 PM
loveitalia

The CT is much more "remote" feeling and less built up than the southern Italian coast (Amalfi, Positano, etc) so there really is no comparison at all. My fiance owns a hotel in Cinque Terre and tourism is only a recent evolvement in the area (-/+ 10 years ago) so the CT is indeed much slower and has far less to do than the southern environs. To echo Alan's comments, if you are into hiking, shopping in the little towns and eating at the many lovely restaurants, than you will like the area. (Note: Vernazza is overrun with American, English and Aussie/New Zealand tourists, and the prices there are higher than the other 4 towns. I would recommend staying in Monterosso al Mare, Manarola, or Riomaggiore instead.)

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 04:04 PM
reed

There is a whole other string on CT versus Amalfi. Just do a search and you will uncover it.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 11:27 PM
Alan

Angie, I haven't been to Amalfi yet so I can't compare. I was in CT last May. I arrived on a Sunday and people talked about how crowded it was that weekend. 95% of the people must have left, though, because the next three days were low key. I'd get up early, have coffee and a pastry and start my hike. I'd meet 1-2 people on the trails before noon. Take the beauty of the California coast, the taste of excellent Italian food (great seafood & pesto), plus lots of friendly people and it added up to some of the best days of my life. Just sitting in a cafe, looking and listening to waves crashing, reading a book and talking with the locals - I can't wait to go back.

My first post may have made Rome sound worse than it is, though. Lots to see and love, but I guess I'm just a sucker for the ocean and small towns. Plus I was on a budget and CT was inexpensive.

I went to Lake Como after CT and I thought it was pretty, but I found myself wishing I had just stayed in Vernazza. I stayed w/ Trattoria Gianni below the castle. My room was under $50 a night with a view to die for (a hike up many stairs w/ luggage, though). Great food at Gambero Rosso, and watched the sun set talking to Mario who runs the Castello bar (just OK food, but service & view made it a repeat stop).

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 04:44 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

It is all a matter of taste. Do you prefer a hot fudge sundae or prime rib?
Both are wonderful--the CT is closer.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 12:12 PM
Tess

WOW, what a dramatic choice. You couldn't ask for two places that are more different. The CT is a series of small, REALLY small villages perched on the coastline. And as already been said, it's a place to go if you want to hike, eat and hang out. Or Rome? It's a great city; it's hustle & bustle, and full of antiquities. This is an apples and oranges choice.

I've enjoyed visiting both locales. If you forced me to choose one, I'd say go to Rome. In March, it'll be less crowded and moderate temps.

As for the CT being closer to Florence/Siena? Personally I think Rome is easier to get to; take the Eurostar from Florence and you're there in 1 1/2 hrs.