Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

For Ingo primarily, though all responses welcome

Mar 9th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

I have not seen Ingo post lately--I hope everything is ok. I plan to visit Dresden in the Fall and have requested dinner reservations at Schloss Eckberg and La Casina Rosa. I would appreciate Ingo's (and anyone's) critical commentary on these choices. We'll be in Dresden for 5 days so if there are other great restaurant recommendations, I would like to hear about them. Thanks. Gradyghost
Mar 9th, 2007, 05:54 PM
J62

I'm not a big fan of Schloss Eckberg. The setting is spectacular, especially summer or early fall when you can sit outside, have a drink, and enjoy the view.

The several times I've been there I've found the food to be good but nothing spectacular, the service slow and the atmosphere a bit stuffy & very reserved. The prices are also quite a bit higher than many other excellent choices in town. It's a great setting for a private party if you ever get the chance.

I much prefer Villa Marie, next to the Blue Wonder, and Schmidt's Restaurant on Moritzburger Weg (you'll need to take a taxi or use GPS to get there.)

The latter is my favorite. Never been to La Casina.
Mar 9th, 2007, 08:47 PM

I started posting again a few days ago, so you're lucky (or not LOL).

I agree with J62. I had recommended Schloss Eckberg earlier, but on my last visit there last year I was a bit disappointed. I also heard the chef is new and obviously he isn't as good as the previous one. The setting is still very beautiful (even in late fall when the colour of the leaves in the surrounding park is changing - yes, we *do* have sort of foliage!).

And I have to agree on Villa Marie! Had a fabulous lunch there in January with a dear American friend who also posts on this board - it was excellent. Schmidt's is also one of my favourites, but it is really located inconveniently if you don't have a car. You could take tram 8 to the first stop in Hellerau and walk 10 minutes from there ... but I doubt you'll find it easily.

However, Schmidt's has a dependancy right in the old town - Restaurant Alte Meister. www.alte-meister.net if I recall correctly. It's is of course a bit more touristy, but the ambience is very nice and the food excellent (and good value). Again, I had dinner there with that dear American friend in January (after opera) and it was outstanding (the creme brulee was to die for ). And I admit (reluctantly - I know I'll make someone green of envy - I had dinner there last Wednesday before opera. Highly recommended.

Another option: it's not yet open, but it will be from this summer on - the restaurant of Stefan Hermann, former chef of restaurant Caroussel in the Hotel Bülow Residenz, which was considered to be the best in the city until he decided to take a break and travelled the world. I am sure it's going to be fantastic. A 19th century building in the residential area 'Weisser Hirsch' is undergoing reconstruction right now and will be home of his restaurant from later this year on.

La Casina Rosa is still a very good choice for a casual Italian Restaurant. Highly recommended for an evening with friends or for two. Nothing fancy, though.
Mar 10th, 2007, 02:33 AM
J62

A couple more places I like

Spanish (both are low cost)
- La Posada (tapas & paella) (Königstr. 3, Neustadt)

- Restaurant Vincent (tapas) (Sebnitzer Str. 11, also in Neustadt)

Japanese
- Cuchi - good/basic sushi (Wallgäßchen 5, Neustadt)
- Ogura - higher end/more $ sushi, (in the Hilton hotel by the Frauenkirche

German/continental
Luisenhof - another beautiful setting above the Blue Wonder, and a great veiw from tower. (Bergbahnstr. 8). This is another place that I've found hit or miss. When it's on it's been excellent, but when it's off it's nothing better than your basic restaurant. You can take the cable car up from the river level.
Mar 10th, 2007, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

WOW!! J62 and Ingo .. you gave me far more than I expected and some importance guidance. We have all we need for dining during the 4-5 days that we will be in Dresden. I will forego a visit to Schloss Eckberg unless you think that one could graciously drop in for a drink and the view in the late afternoon. Perhaps they would not be open at that time??

Also, we will not have a car in Dresden; I trust that taxis work for the restaurants you have mentioned. I love the tram but my artificial knee seems to balk on long walks.

Finally, I am focusing on a side trip by train to Leipzig. My wife's sister, who will be with us, is a serious pianist and will want to visit the Bach Museum. I probably will veer off to visit the City Hall. Both of these sites appear to be in the vicinity of Auerbachs Keller restaurant and I am wondering how you regard that restaurant for lunch.

Thank you very much for you invaluable advice. Gradyghost

Mar 10th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

FYI Ingo and J62:

It appears that Chef Hermann's new restaurant will be called "Bean & Beluga". I found a website and have inquired about reservations in October. From what I have read about Carrousel, the new place should be great. Here is the site:

http://bean-and-beluga.de/aktuell/

Gradyghost
Mar 10th, 2007, 08:35 PM

Thanks gradyghost! I will definitely eat there soon after the opening, so I can probably give you a report prior to your visit here.

The Schloss Eckberg is open late afternoon, but I'd prefer the Luisenhof mentioned by J62 for that. Yes, I also had mixing experiences there with the food - it's excellent for coffee plus cake in the afternoon, or wine, or dessert in the evening. And the views are great.

The tram system is perfect and doesn't require long walks, but if you prefer taxi - well, the guys will be happy

Ingo
Mar 11th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Original Poster

Hello Ingo:

Have you had experience with the restaurant in Leipzig, Auerbachs Keller, that I mentioned in my earlier post? Thanks again and I will look forward to hearing from you after your experience at Bean & Buluga. Gradyghost
Mar 11th, 2007, 09:56 AM

I have been to Auerbach's Keller, but that's been in the mid 1990s. Was not very impressed. Inbetween the team/chef has changed and I heard they improved dramatically. No personal experience, though, sorry.

What I can do is look up some regional newspapers/gastro journals and see if I find a review. I'll let you know.

My recommendation is to have a snack/coffee/tea or so in one of the coffeehouses: either 'Zum Coffe Baum' or 'Riquet' Both are excellent (own experience) and close to the old city hall/Bach museum. Ok, 'Riquet' is four minutes walking from the city hall opposite direction of the Bach Museum, 'Zum Coffe Baum' is right between the sites.
Mar 12th, 2007, 03:41 PM
J62

Sorry, no input on Leipzig restaurants. I just know Dresden.
Mar 12th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

To J62:

OK, thanks. You have been very helpful.. Gradyghost
Mar 12th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

For either J62 or Ingo:

I have purchased (nonrefundable) tickets for a Bach concert at the Frauenkirche in October. Please tell me that I will not be unhappy. Gradyghost
Mar 12th, 2007, 03:53 PM
J62

Several Dresden friends of mine who have been to concerts at the Frauenkirche have remarked at how wonderful it was. I've not been, but the Church is a beautiful setting. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Mar 12th, 2007, 10:10 PM

I have been a couple of times to concerts at the Frauenkirche and always loved it. I must admit I have also heard of bad experiences. The acoustics in the church are complicated - please let me know about the orchestra/musicians or the exact day so I can look it up. Sometimes musicians from somewhere far from Dresden visit who have no clue about the problematic acoustics.
Mar 13th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Original Poster

For Ingo:

The concert is scheduled for 3 October at 20:00. I will be interested in your comments.

You mentioned that you recently attended the opera. I was surprised to see that there are no operas scheduled for early October--that would have been our preference. Gradyghost
Mar 15th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

For Ingo and J62:

Stefan Hermann responded to my e-mail and indicated that the new restaurant would open at the end of May. He is accepting reservations at:

[email protected]

Gradyghost