Dresden Restaurants

Aug 29th, 2005, 05:03 PM
J62
Original Poster

Dresden Restaurants

I'm headed back to Dresden in about a month and am looking for some good restaurant recommendations. The hotel I stay in 3-4x/yr (for business reasons) is in Radebeul, which is a ways outside of town. I'll have a car and know my way around town pretty well, so I'm not limited to Neustadt or Altstadt areas.

Some of the places I frequent/enjoy include
Neustadt:
- La Posada (paella)
- La Cucina Rosa (sp?)
- Cuchi (sushi/asian)

Altstadt
- Ogura (sushi)

Outside town/other areas
- Schmidt’s Restaurant
- Luisenhof
- Watzke (beer and Schweinhaxe) (ok, not my favorite restaurant)

plus a list of places in Radebeul like Gasthof Oberschänke & Spitzhaus.

Any Dresden experts out there with ideas for new places to try?

Aug 30th, 2005, 10:18 AM

Hi J62,

I am very glad to hear you are back soon! Wow, you ate in some of my favourite restaurants (btw, it is La Casina Rosa, one of my favourite Italian restaurants). I thought I could keep Schmidt's a secret ... isn't it very good? They catered at my friend's wedding.

When in Radebeul you should definitely not miss the Sorgenfrei. It is located right next to the Steigenberger Hofloessnitz Hotel (maybe you stay there?) towards the foot of the vineyards. Had lunch last Sunday there on occasion of the wine festival (Day of open private wineries) - excellent, a bit pricey (main course 20 Euro). The ambience is fantastic - 18th century villa plus garden ...

I can also recommend the restaurant at Schloss Wackerbarth in Radebeul (Saxon State Winery). Try their own wine - excellent (and Sekt).

There is a wonderful (rural) Baroque castle a half hour from Dresden (Autobahn A4 direction Görlitz, exit Burkau) in Rammenau with a very good restaurant which I like very much. Enchanting ambience.

A few hundred meters down the river from Watzke's (btw, what was the problem there?) is a restaurant with terrace by the river called Lindenschänke (address: Altmickten). Good local/regional food, cosy, neighbourhood atmosphere.

Did I recommend Schloss Eckberg earlier? A gourmet restaurant in a neo-gothic castle overlooking the river and city ... pricey, but excellent.

Another favourite restaurant of mine is the Villa Marie by the Blue Wonder bridge - Italian! And the nearby Schillergarten is good too - local/regional, make reservation for a table in the wintergarden with view of the bridge in the evening!

I think I can suggest some more, but this is maybe enough for now let me know if you need more inspiration!

Ingo
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:19 PM
J62
Original Poster

Thanks Ingo,

Great additions to my list - always looking for great new places.

Yes, I stay at the Steigenberger.

I should probably add Karl May Saloon on my list, 11pm on a Friday night for line dancing and TX two step. What a hoot!

The problem with Watzke is that I usually go there with a big group, esp on cheap beer night when the place is croweded. Seems to take forever to get food, so I don't count on it for a really good dinner. Also, the #4 tram is down due to construction, so it's not so handy to get back to hotel now.

Been by lots of times but never eaten at Sorgenfrei - easy to walk to (and home from!)

I need to write these places down because I always forget about Lindenschänke and others I've been to.

Thanks again for the great list. Dresden is a fanctastic ity, very friendly people, and lots of superb restaurants.

Sep 1st, 2005, 01:27 PM

Thanks for your nice words. I think we Dresdners are way too impatient with the progress of reconstructions, new constructions and economic recovery ...

That Friday night dancing in the Karl May saloon will be fun!

I forgot to add three of my favourite restaurants - since you have a car these will be good choices for you:

Historisches Fischhaus
www.fischhaus.de
In the Neustadt (on the road direction Radeberg)

Fischhaus Alberthafen
www.fischhaus-alberthafen.de
in the (river-)harbour area, a good place for fish/seafood

Landhaus Lockwitzgrund
at the southeastern edge of Dresden,
romantic place, very good food at reasonable prices.
www.landhaus-lockwitzgrund.de
(if you understand German - click on "Aktuell" and the different Menus! mouth-watering)

Have a great time,

Ingo
Oct 18th, 2005, 06:45 AM
J62
Original Poster

Just returned from latest trip to Dresden last week & was able to sample some excellent Dresden restaurants. Thanks Ingo for the suggestions.

Cap Merlot (Neustadt). Modern bistro type restaurant. Food was good, but not outstanding. Venison was excellent, but my lamb was so-so at best. Casual atmosphere, open kitchen were fun.

Schloss Eckberg: As good as Ingo describes it. Beautiful view from high on the hill above the Elbe. Superb food & service, very pricey. Probably the best dinner I've had in DRS. I would highly recommend Eckberg, especially during mid summer when you can enjoy the view, drink or even dine outside, and walk the gardens. One of the very few places I've been to in DRS where dress up is the norm. (jacket and tie worn, but not req'd).

Villa Marie: another one described by Ingo above. Excellent food. Very busy, trendy, happy crowd. Chose the lamb there - comes highly recommended.

Oct 18th, 2005, 01:45 PM

Hi
We always like to try something different when we travel. Try the Mandarin, a really good Chinese restaurant not far from the Radison Hotel. It surprised us, the food was very good, and most of the customers when we went were Asian.
Nov 28th, 2005, 12:38 AM

Mandarin is all right. But if you are interested in Chinese, Hoang-Cung, St. Petersburger strasse is also good. And for Vietnamese, Kinh Do at Weissengasse is also good. Both are in walking distance from the old city.