Food and Activities in Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are heading to Venice next week, staying in San Polo at the Marconi thanks to numerous references from Fodorites.

I've heard the food in Venice tends toward the touristy and overpriced. Does anyone have recommendations of good restaurants to try - maybe with more of a local following?

Also, we'd love to take in a concert or other production while we're there. Does anyone know how we can find out about these events?

Many thanks, as always!
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 02:03 PM

Locanda Montin is excellent ...

www.locandamontin.com

If you'd like an amazing splurge dinner (jacket & tie required), go to Hotel Cipriani on Giudecca. Incredible!

http://www.hotelcipriani.com/web/oci...estaurants.jsp
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Marconi photos:
www.pbase.com/baileyzim/image/21709699
www.pbase.com/baileyzim/image/21709694
www.pbase.com/baileyzim/image/21709696

Two great....modestly priced restaurants. Antico Panificio in San Polo, very close to Marconi and La Zucca.....both are in my 'favorites' list!

The Architecture Biennale is at the Arsenale.

Have a great trip!
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 02:32 PM

this is a good Venice restaurant thread
http://tinyurl.com/yjqczk
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 02:42 PM

Venice is all about tourism, and there are relatively few permanent residents there, so most of the places you'll find will have some tourists in them.
If you walk off the beaten track in Castello, Cannareggio, and San Polo where you ar staying, those areas are less-touristed.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 02:52 AM

Another vote for La Zucca! One of my favorites. I also liked Casin dei Nobili in Dorsoduro. Have a great time in Venice. We're going back next June.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 03:59 AM
ira

Hi K,

A la Madonna is just to the right of the Marconi as you exit the hotel.

We also liked Cantinone Storico on a canal near the Accademia Bridge, within sound of the bells of one of the churches. Lovely atmosphere. Excellent cooking. Very good presentation. Superior service.

Old Oct 16th, 2006, 05:10 AM

If you like Vivaldi I highly recommend the "Four Seasons" concert performd by the Virtuosi di Venezia at San Marco Square in the Ateneo di Basso which was chosen to recall the exact situation in which Vivaldi worked because it has the same demensions of the Pieta Institure music hall in which Vivaldo composed.
Buy your tickets ahead at th same location and then get there early to get a good seat. We did not get to the Fenice Opera House but we certaily will the next time we visit Venice.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 06:12 AM

We just returned from Venice, and the best meal we had was at Da Ivo, it was heavenly. Al Covo and Do Forni were good, but Da Ivo was great!!!!Enjoy your trip
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 06:23 AM

Of all the things I ate in Venice, the meal I would repeat (and hope to at some point) is at La Corte Sconta. Excellent fish.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Wow - thanks and keep 'em coming! I'm taking notes and printing this out to bring with me. I love Fodorites!

Gekko - is Locanda Montin expensive? From all the celebrities on its website, it would seem so.

Does anyone know how I could buy tickets for the Venice opera house before leaving? We tried to go to the opera in Paris, but all the performances during our stay were already sold out. Don't want that to happen again!
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 09:20 AM

here's a link to the events calender:

http://www.turismovenezia.it/eng/dynalay.asp?PAGINA=407
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 09:42 AM

During our recent trip to Venice, we ate at:

La Piscina Bar Caffè Restaurant, Fondamente Zattere, 782, Dorsoduro. This is the restaurant owned by La Calcina, a hotel that lots of great reviews here on Fodors. The food was fine, but we ate here for the location, which is gorgeous - right on the Giudecca Canal. I tried the schie with polenta, which wasn't all that interesting.

We had dinner at Osteria Anice Stellato, Fondamenta della Sensa, 3272, Cannaregio. We've eaten here before; there were many fewer foreigners here this time than last, and it feels very local. Our hotel was in the Cannaregio, about 20 minutes walk from San Marco, and this restaurant was about 15 minutes walk from our hotel. Definitely off the tourist map. A modern take on Venetian cuisine, featuring fish and seafood.

Lunch the next day was at Trattoria all’Antica Mola, Fondamenta degli Ormesini, 2800, Cannaregio. It's not too far from Anice Stellato, so we had checked it out the night before. They do have some tables outside, on the canal, as well as an interior garden. Quite basic, but good, Venetian food - I tried baccala with polenta.

Our last dinner was at Fiaschetteria Toscana, San Giovanni Crisostomo, Cannaregio 5819. Definitely over-run with tourists (Americans), but a nice experience nonetheless.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 12:31 PM

While you are stocking up with the names of good restaurants, let me suggest one that doesn't make the usual lists. On the Lista di Spagna - walk left exiting the rail station - is the Brek Cafeteria. Good fresh Italian "fast food" cooked while you watch and CHEAP. Nice pastas and a very good rissoto is served as well as other items. You walk through a coffee bar to the cafeteria entrance in back.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 09:51 AM

Just returned from Venice. Per other's recommendations, staying for dinner in the residential neighborhoods was the trick. We had particularly good meals at Do Ferai and Bitte (spelling? It's a non-fish restaurant) in Dorsoduro and Alle Testiere (recommended by Fodor's among others). Testiere isn't cheap, but very good and different. I have their cards at home if you need exact addresses, just let me know.

In terms of the opera house, check their website which I believe allowed advanced purchases. The Vivaldi performances you can purchase same day. Believe it was 22 Euro but a lovely evening.