Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Food and Activities in Venice? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/food-and-activities-in-venice-653026/)

klta Oct 15th, 2006 11:58 AM

Food and Activities in Venice?

We are heading to Venice next week, staying in San Polo at the Marconi thanks to numerous references from Fodorites.

I've heard the food in Venice tends toward the touristy and overpriced. Does anyone have recommendations of good restaurants to try - maybe with more of a local following?

Also, we'd love to take in a concert or other production while we're there. Does anyone know how we can find out about these events?

Many thanks, as always!

Gekko Oct 15th, 2006 02:03 PM

Locanda Montin is excellent ...

www.locandamontin.com

If you'd like an amazing splurge dinner (jacket & tie required), go to Hotel Cipriani on Giudecca. Incredible!

http://www.hotelcipriani.com/web/oci...estaurants.jsp

Bailey Oct 15th, 2006 02:23 PM

Marconi photos:
www.pbase.com/baileyzim/image/21709699
www.pbase.com/baileyzim/image/21709694
www.pbase.com/baileyzim/image/21709696

Two great....modestly priced restaurants. Antico Panificio in San Polo, very close to Marconi and La Zucca.....both are in my 'favorites' list!

The Architecture Biennale is at the Arsenale.

Have a great trip!
((*))

realshalott Oct 15th, 2006 02:32 PM

this is a good Venice restaurant thread
http://tinyurl.com/yjqczk

Julienas Oct 15th, 2006 02:42 PM

Venice is all about tourism, and there are relatively few permanent residents there, so most of the places you'll find will have some tourists in them.
If you walk off the beaten track in Castello, Cannareggio, and San Polo where you ar staying, those areas are less-touristed.

granbury Oct 16th, 2006 02:52 AM

Another vote for La Zucca! One of my favorites. I also liked Casin dei Nobili in Dorsoduro. Have a great time in Venice. We're going back next June.

ira Oct 16th, 2006 03:59 AM

Hi K,

A la Madonna is just to the right of the Marconi as you exit the hotel.

We also liked Cantinone Storico on a canal near the Accademia Bridge, within sound of the bells of one of the churches. Lovely atmosphere. Excellent cooking. Very good presentation. Superior service.

((I))

yellowbyrd Oct 16th, 2006 05:10 AM

If you like Vivaldi I highly recommend the "Four Seasons" concert performd by the Virtuosi di Venezia at San Marco Square in the Ateneo di Basso which was chosen to recall the exact situation in which Vivaldi worked because it has the same demensions of the Pieta Institure music hall in which Vivaldo composed.
Buy your tickets ahead at th same location and then get there early to get a good seat. We did not get to the Fenice Opera House but we certaily will the next time we visit Venice.

dorie Oct 16th, 2006 06:12 AM

We just returned from Venice, and the best meal we had was at Da Ivo, it was heavenly. Al Covo and Do Forni were good, but Da Ivo was great!!!!Enjoy your trip

laclaire Oct 16th, 2006 06:23 AM

Of all the things I ate in Venice, the meal I would repeat (and hope to at some point) is at La Corte Sconta. Excellent fish.

klta Oct 16th, 2006 09:17 AM

Wow - thanks and keep 'em coming! I'm taking notes and printing this out to bring with me. I love Fodorites!

Gekko - is Locanda Montin expensive? From all the celebrities on its website, it would seem so.

Does anyone know how I could buy tickets for the Venice opera house before leaving? We tried to go to the opera in Paris, but all the performances during our stay were already sold out. Don't want that to happen again!

Margaretlb Oct 16th, 2006 09:20 AM

here's a link to the events calender:

http://www.turismovenezia.it/eng/dynalay.asp?PAGINA=407

Lexma90 Oct 16th, 2006 09:42 AM

During our recent trip to Venice, we ate at:

La Piscina Bar Caffè Restaurant, Fondamente Zattere, 782, Dorsoduro. This is the restaurant owned by La Calcina, a hotel that lots of great reviews here on Fodors. The food was fine, but we ate here for the location, which is gorgeous - right on the Giudecca Canal. I tried the schie with polenta, which wasn't all that interesting.

We had dinner at Osteria Anice Stellato, Fondamenta della Sensa, 3272, Cannaregio. We've eaten here before; there were many fewer foreigners here this time than last, and it feels very local. Our hotel was in the Cannaregio, about 20 minutes walk from San Marco, and this restaurant was about 15 minutes walk from our hotel. Definitely off the tourist map. A modern take on Venetian cuisine, featuring fish and seafood.

Lunch the next day was at Trattoria all’Antica Mola, Fondamenta degli Ormesini, 2800, Cannaregio. It's not too far from Anice Stellato, so we had checked it out the night before. They do have some tables outside, on the canal, as well as an interior garden. Quite basic, but good, Venetian food - I tried baccala with polenta.

Our last dinner was at Fiaschetteria Toscana, San Giovanni Crisostomo, Cannaregio 5819. Definitely over-run with tourists (Americans), but a nice experience nonetheless.

basingstoke1 Oct 16th, 2006 12:31 PM

While you are stocking up with the names of good restaurants, let me suggest one that doesn't make the usual lists. On the Lista di Spagna - walk left exiting the rail station - is the Brek Cafeteria. Good fresh Italian "fast food" cooked while you watch and CHEAP. Nice pastas and a very good rissoto is served as well as other items. You walk through a coffee bar to the cafeteria entrance in back.

JEStraveler Oct 18th, 2006 09:51 AM

Just returned from Venice. Per other's recommendations, staying for dinner in the residential neighborhoods was the trick. We had particularly good meals at Do Ferai and Bitte (spelling? It's a non-fish restaurant) in Dorsoduro and Alle Testiere (recommended by Fodor's among others). Testiere isn't cheap, but very good and different. I have their cards at home if you need exact addresses, just let me know.

In terms of the opera house, check their website which I believe allowed advanced purchases. The Vivaldi performances you can purchase same day. Believe it was 22 Euro but a lovely evening.