Reload this Page >

following Hemingway..

Search

following Hemingway..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 05:11 PM
HRH SBP

following Hemingway..

hi all<BR><BR>has anyone ever taken to Paris, as a sort of guidebook, a Moveable Feast? I am sooooo tempted to do this next time.<BR><BR>I also just finished reading Micheal Palin's Hemingway Adventure - would like to follow in his footsteps for sure!<BR><BR>HRH

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Sandy

I enjoyed using The Sun Also Rises as my guide.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 04:39 AM
MHS

Check out: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pariswalking/<BR><BR>Hemingway's Paris 10.30 am meet at metro Cardinal Lemoine. Explore this charming district in the Latin Quarter with the old houses of the Mouffetard market street associated with Joyce, Orwell, Balzac, disreputable poet Verlaine and described by Hemingway in "A Moveable Feast".<BR><BR>We did this walking tour Sept.2000 -- it's a great company. Discovered it through recommendations on this forum.<BR>

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 04:49 AM
s

Hello HRH SBP,<BR><BR>I don't know if it's still in print, but there's a small book called "A Guide to Hemingway's Paris" by John Leland. It's published by Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill, 1989. It includes three walking tours and lots of information on the places & people in Hemingway's life & books.<BR><BR>Hope you can find it -- maybe in the library before you decide to buy.<BR><BR>s

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Tracy

Hey - check out<BR><BR>http://www.pbs.org/hemingwayadventure/<BR><BR>Unusually rich website - highly groovy!<BR>HTH, HRH . . .<BR>= )

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Joe

I stayed at the Hotel des Grandes Ecole in the summer of 1998. I'm an inveterate plaque reader, and a building a couple of doors up the street had an insciption in French along the lines of "when we were so poor and so happy." After managing to translate it, I realized it marked the building where Hemingway and his first wife lived when they first settled in Paris - - there are lots of details about it in A Moveable Feast. The hotel is great and inexpensive - - you'll find dozens of descriptions of it here - - but hard to get reservations for I tried again the following year and they were booked. But it's worth trying and would make a great center for your trip.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Grasshopper

Then you must be sure to drive to Lyon in a convertible with the top down in the rain, preferrably with a Fitzgerald fan!