Fodors.com x's Plaza Lucchesi?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2003, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stayed at the Plaza Lucchesi in Florence a couple of months ago and was about to add a "rave" when I discovered that Fodors.com no longer lists it. Any ideas why?

M
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 11:52 AM
Intrepid

One possibkle answer is that the establishment no longer is willing to PAY Fodors to list it.

Old Jul 17th, 2003, 01:00 PM

Or it could be that it was acquired by Summit Hotels, and Summit's Hotels aren't listed in "Rants & Raves" as far as I know.

BC
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Intrepid --- Does it really work this way? I've never takes the listings terribly seriously but have relied on them for details.

Bookchick --- Point is not the "Rants and RAves" but that the Lucchesi is no longer amont the hotels that Fodor's lists for Florence. Yes, it is now part of the Summit group.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 05:33 AM
Intrepid

Mallory: I honestly wish I knew for certain but have been told over the years that the various properties pay a fee to be listed in the guidebooks. It makes sense when you think about it given all the hotels in a lot of cities although the guidebook implies they are only rating the significant ones in each category. I'm topping this and perhaps someone who knows for SURE can/will comment.

Old Jul 18th, 2003, 05:42 AM

Intrepid, maybe you are right esp. since some of the hotels that are highly rated in guidebooks can be a letdown leaving guests to ask why they were even listed.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 06:07 AM

Here's what the FAQs say:

www.fodors.com/faq/

I'm sure there are guidebooks that are paid for listings, but I'm not so cynical that I believe they ALL are.

Hotel Castex in Paris used to be on the Fodors list. It was removed after they refurbished and raised their prices (I emailed Fodors to alert them). I believe the main reason is that a Fodors person hasn't seen it since, or saw it and didn't feel it was worth listing any longer (not a good value or whatever).
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 10:58 AM
Intrepid

I didn't say that ALL guidebooks require an establishment to pay them for a listing, I simply have been lead to believe that Fodors, among others, does. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I suppose one way to find out would be tom ask someone knowledgeable at the establishment itself. Regardless, there are other sites such as TripAdvisor, Epinions, and Europe by Fingertip where establishments are "reviewed" however a lot of these general reviews are consistent in language from sight to sight which makes me wonder just where some of the information actually comes from.

Old Jul 18th, 2003, 11:04 AM

I'm not sure about the guidebooks, but I know about the tourist booklets, the type you get for free, like City Guide. You place your own ad (so you can describe your business any way you want, stretching the truth) and depending on how much you pay, your ad may be one of several for your type of business or exclusive, so for example if you are a doctor no other doctors can place their ads in the same issue.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 11:11 AM

#4 0n the link I included above DOES answer the question for Fodors guides.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

I checked the FAQ but it's simply what Fodor's says about itself, with nothing about criteria. Not that I work for Summit or the Plaza Lucchesi but I had a great room at a great rate, considering that this is a full-service hotel, with nightly turndowns, towel changes etc. ( I mention that only to give some idea of the hotel type.) And I didn't hear anyone complaining while I was there for over a week! So I am puzzled. The hotel was listed in May, before I went.
M
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Topping

Maybe someone representing Fodor's can respond here?
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 03:05 PM

Mallory,

I've never seen a Fodors representative do that.

If you read ALL of the FAQs (#4 was an answer to Intrepid's question), and the example I have personal knowledge about in my previous post, I just don't think it's such a big mystery. They periodically review their picks, add new ones, and drop old ones. At their discretion, and their perogative.

On the plus side, you have a hotel you like, and it might be easier to get a reservation in the future.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Wow, Elberko

Had I only thought of that in advance of my last trip.......
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 09:38 AM

Mallory,

I'm just going to have to assume that's a compliment.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Of course, Elberko.
I understood a smile in your previous comment, and smiled back!

In truth, the interesting thing about the Lucchesi is that it has a reputation for being expensive but when you book directly with them through the internet, it is much less so. The rates through hotels.com was much higher for a standard room than I paid for a superior room. I don't know what you would find if you called or wrote, as I just realized I haven't actually telephoned a hotel about rates in years.

To more Italian vacations...
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Well, folks --- the Plaza Hotel Lucchesi is back on the Fodor's list of hotels. How did that happen? So I wrote a rave.