Fodorites! A challenge! Re: Paris Hotels

Old Jun 20th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fodorites! A challenge! Re: Paris Hotels

Hi everyone!
I'm new here. But I have been lurking around reading the informative threads on this messageboard. I'm planning a trip to Europe. I'm having a "layover" for a couple of days in Paris before going on to Germany. I've never been to Paris before and I am in need of a hotel. BUT! Here's the challenge part, my mom and I have some specific criteria. 1) A/C - We're going in August and it's bound to be real hot. For me, the A/C must be there. I have done European hotels before without the A/C and sleeping was next to impossible even with pills. 2) Shuttle to and from the Airport. 3) Close to or within easy access to main attractions e.g. Eiffel Tower, Champs-Elysees, etc.

I saw the threads about Left and Right Bank...but I'm a bit ignorant of where I want to stay. So I can't really say, "Yes, I want Left" or "Yes, I want Right." I guess in that case, I'm not too picky. But I do hope that the places recommended are safe for two women travelling by themselves. I have read some books that say things like "Avoid the Pigalle (and Marais?) at night because of the drug people, prostitutes and pickpockets/muggers."

All help is greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 12:26 PM

The requirement that the hotel provide a "shuttle to and from the airport" is going to seriously limit your options. Taxis are easily available at the airport. Is there a particular reason you require a shuttle?

What is your budget? It seems pointless to offer a suggestion without knowing your budget in euros per night. If you have no budget and money is no object, I doubt you would be posting this Q yourself, you'd probably have a staff to book a hotel for you.

Most Fodorites tend to recommend the 4th, 5th and 6th arrondissements for first-time visitors. I like the 5th and 6th because I prefer the left bank. But any hotel in the single digit arr. (1-9) will be fairly central to the major sites. If you're in the "money is no object" crowd, you might like the luxury hotels like the George V in the 8th.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 12:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
There are many shuttle companies that provide service from the Paris airports. I usually take a taxi from the airport into Paris because it is easy and they are right outside the door, and then I will book a shuttle for the trip back to the airport. Some hotels have arrangements with shuttles and you can ask, but if they do not, you can ask them to call one of the companies for you or you can book one yourself. One I have used several times is World Shuttle at http://www.world-shuttles.com/.

The Marais and Pigalle are not dangerous places. I have not run into drug people, prostitutes and muggers. I have not been out in the wee hours of the morning, but at least up until midnight the streets are full of people coming and going.

The main attractions of Paris are located mostly within walking distance of the Seine, but are scattered some distance apart. So if you stay relatively close to the Seine, you will be near some attractions and farther from others. There is easy access from most points within central Paris. If your hotel is within a few blocks of a metro station (and most are), you are within striking distance of the entire city.

The hotels recommended in the threads you looked at should all be safe for two women traveling together.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 12:45 PM

A pointless question indeed unless you provide a budget window in euros.

I strongly suggest you avoid all shuttles from CDG into Paris. Private shuttles into Paris will cost from 80 to 100 euros. Taxis are half that price and much more reliable and always available just steps away from the customs exit.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 12:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Ha ha, this is going to be a great thread. Next, we're going to be asked to provide a ballroom for dancing.

I will sit and watch for a while.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 12:52 PM

I agree, a taxi is your best bet if you're not willing to take public transit.

I would suggest a hotel in the area of Blvd St. Germain in the 6th Arrondissement. (Consider Cafe Des Deux Magots as the spot on a map for bearings.) Very broadly speaking, think of the Left Bank near St. Germain to be more like a Greenwich village (if that reference makes sense for you) and the Right Bank to be to be more established like an Upper East Side. (Those are not direct analogies, but you should get the point.)

We like that area as there are plenty of cafes in the area, it has several metro stops, and is reasonably close by either cab, foot, or public transportation to all the areas you mentioned. You can walk to the Louvre and Notre Dame, fairly easily.

Be aware that the Eiffel Tower is in an area that is going to be a bit quiet in terms of places to dine, etc. Also, the Champs Elysee and the Eiffel tower are a bit away from one another.

I might suggest Relais Christine if budget isn't as much a concern, Hotel D'Abusson, and Hotel Buci Latin.

As suggested, if money isn't a concern and you want the best then consider Georges V (V as in Cinq) or the Ritz.

I believe the Relais Christine has a rate plan where they will provide transport to and from the airport.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"I have read some books that say things like "Avoid the Pigalle (and Marais?) at night because of the drug people, prostitutes and pickpockets/muggers."

Published in which century? I'm a solo woman traveler and I stay in the Marais. I can't afford AC in Paris.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 12:58 PM

kerouac - chuckling right along with you!

OP - you will need to adjust your expectations. No hotel in town will offer an airport shuttle. Not to worry, taxis are plentiful and easy.
AC is not as rare as it once was, but in general you will pay a premium for it.
In terms of location, Paris is actually not that large a city and the major tourist attractions are concentrated in the center, so any place in the single digit arrondissements should do you just fine if you are close to a Metro station.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 01:05 PM

The Marais is fine, but I would avoid the Pigalle area at night myself. I can't imagine why you'd want to go there, anyway, or what the big attraction would be. There are petty criminals and prostitutes up there.

The issue is, as mentioned, that no hotel in town will give you free transportation to/from the airport. That is the main problem with your criteria. The only hotels that do that are near the airport.

It is very easy to find a hotel with AC, most 3* hotels in Paris seem to have it now, and a few 2*. YOu would pay more of a premium for staying in certain areas that for AC.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 01:19 PM

Booking.com

Great discount site for u where u can add features u want like shuttle etc.

Select Hotel well under 200 euro AC shuttle Sorbonne Location one of my favs

AC wifi super nice rooms safe location convenient to all central sites

So shop around great recent reviews that are honest not faked

use them a lot.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 01:24 PM

have stayed in the Marias ok more apertments residential safe except

For dog poop IEDs you might slip on
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks everyone for the replies. I realize now I should have put in a budget. I'm thinking of EUR 180/night max. No, I'm not made of money and the Ritz and Georges V are out.

The reason I thought of shuttles was because in this travelogue I rented from the library, the woman hosting the show got in a taxi and was being taken for a ride. Even though she knew French and she knew where she was going, the taxi driver was hell bent on taking her the long way around.I didn't like that idea. And even though we're going to be travelling fairly light, I'm a bit skeptical of the Metro. Like I said, I've never been to Paris. But I live in Toronto and getting to and from the airport with public transit is a colossal pain.
But I will look at my map and check out those arrondisements that were suggested and see what I can see. Thanks for these suggestions.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 01:49 PM

It appeared that you wanted a hotel to provide shuttle service and that's what people were responding to. You can book a shuttle yourself and pay for it from/to the airport. There are lots of shuttle services.

I've taken taxis from the airport and didn't have any problems. Depending on where you're staying it & time of day you arrive a taxi will be about E50. A shuttle will be slightly less.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 01:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Christina, are you honestly wondering why anybody could be inerested in an area full of prostitutes? ;-)
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 02:04 PM

ballroomdancer: Most people take taxis in Paris without any problems. But if you prefer to book a shuttle, as adrienne says, you can do that yourself without requiring a hotel to do it for you. The RER is cheaper and pretty easy, although it requires more walking and probably some stairs. There are also bus options.

Your budget will give you plenty of options. I can recommend the Hotel Clement in the 6th arrondissement, right next to the Mabillon metro station. I stayed there 2 wks ago and paid 164E for a junior suite, a regular double goes for less than that. It's a small 2* but it has A/C.

www.hotelclementparis.com
www.clement-moliere-paris-hotel.com
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 02:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
In Pigalle it is hard for me to pick out the prostitutes among the many people coming and going to the theaters in the area. On the other hand, I am not their target audience, nor would the original poster be.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 03:56 PM

1st time people with limited time and a budget with some demands? ALWAYS pick a *** hotel in an arrondissment close to the Seine and close to Notre Dame.

I tend to recommend the 6th for first timers. Not close to the E.Tower or to the Champs(boring, boring, boring) but dead close to the RER/metro lines that take you to either in a snap.

Heck with shuttle from airport. Take taxi.

Sound like everyone else's advice? It's because we're RIGHT!
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 05:36 PM

Kerouac will cheer as I recommend the 6th! Athough, not frequented by prositutes ;-), but easy to get to the favorite sites

take a cab from CDG!

I will mention a few hotel possibilities that are all close to the Odeon Metro stop...reasonable, nice, clean and close to good cafes and restaurants...Hotel Louis II, Relais St. Germain, Odeon St Germain and Odeon Hotel. I believe all have A/C.

If you choose the right bank, the Le Grand Intercontinental is right by Opera Garnier and is quite nice! (with A/C)

Enjoy!
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 05:43 PM

My daughter and I are going to stay at Hotel Le Clement in the 7th arrondisment. It is reasonable and I believe has a/c. It was recommended to me by a reliable friend that has stayed there for years.

Have a good time!!!
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 06:49 PM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ank-thread.cfm. The Right Bank thread is linked to it.

Hotel Clement is in the 6th.

As for shuttle, www.parishuttle.com

Happy Travels!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -