FNAC WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Apr 25th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

FNAC WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Hello, does anyone out there know what the letters FNAC stand for? I know it's a store in France, but I have a study abroad worksheet asking this question and have spent 3 hours looking for the answer online and have had no luck, any help would be greatly appreciated! Please e-mail if you know the answer [email protected]
Apr 25th, 2005, 08:11 AM

federation Nationale des Cadres.
Apr 25th, 2005, 08:12 AM

http://www.icsc.org/srch/sct/current/page38.html
No point fo rme to copy as my French is limited to "Oui", "No", "Merci" and "Bonjour"....Hope this helps..Stephen
Apr 25th, 2005, 08:24 AM

Somehting I found...

fnac stands for something, just like RATP or SNCF, except I don't know what. It is the trade name of a chain of cultural department stores in France; selling books, records, photo equipment and film, sound and video equipment and accessories. fnac also sells TVs, HiFis, and satellite reception gear; Walkmans, DAT recorders and so on, and now sells computers and software.

fnac started out as a sort of co-op by being a buying centre for teachers. The idea was to offer teachers lower prices and a greater selection. The company itself was at the beginning sort of a co-op as well; but has since become a corporation with shares on the exchange.

But fnac continues to have a consumer-oriented attitude. It agitates for lower sales tax on records and computer materials for example; claiming these are not luxury items.

In its areas of merchandize, fnac has a big selection. It can only be so big though, so there a niches left open to competitors and specialty stores. fnac also does not have the lowest prices; but it forces its competitors to have thin margins.

For most people, fnac has what they want, for a fair price. Therefore, fnac is popular and does a huge business, being a leader in France for books and records. The new store is fnac's fourth multi-product one in the city; and the chain has 55 outlets in France - many of them photo-service bureaus. Everybody who lives here buys something at fnac sometime.

fnac not only sells books, records and photographic gear, but it also promotes authors, performers and photography in general - by putting on book signings and photo expos and by holding conferences and sponsoring cultural events.

Apr 25th, 2005, 10:15 AM

Cigalechanta was close -- it's Federation Nationale d'Achat des Cadres.

It only took me a couple minutes to find that on Google, but I think this is a silly question to ask as part of some study abroad questionnaire, as if it were some academic question. That would be like asking potential foreign students what Kmart or GAP stands for in a test.

I love FNAC, I get their newsletter and buy stuff there all the time, but they are just part of some big marketing group now which owns some luxury stores, I think.
Apr 25th, 2005, 12:34 PM

FNAC i believe is a Belgian creation originally and has become France's major book/media store.
Apr 25th, 2005, 01:02 PM
HKP

Always thought it was the sound made when someone tries to stifle a sneeze.
Apr 25th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone... I looked on the internet for hours and couldn't find that... I think all my responses were from the FNAC website, which doesn't bother to explain it... I agree about it being a stupid question... you should see the other 120 questions... Thanks though to everyone, i've got the answer on it now.
Apr 26th, 2005, 04:42 AM

Maybe not particularly useful information in itself, but the question was a useful test of inquisitiveness, initiative and general gumption, which is pretty important when studying abroad, n'est-ce pas?
Apr 26th, 2005, 06:31 AM

I, too, wondered what the FNAC stands for. OP, it's not a stupid question but there are stupid responses.
Sep 17th, 2005, 04:32 PM

Why would a study abroad worksheet care what FNAC stood for, but just what it was? Meaningless info.