Search

Flying to Rome with a connection in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying to Rome with a connection in Paris

Hello everyone

I have been hanging out on this forum for a while now, getting so much great info for my upcoming trip to Rome in November.

After searching for a reasonable airfare for what seems like an eternity, I have finally found one that I can afford. Delta (AirFrance, really) ATL-FCO with a connection in Paris for $591. Here is my question: Will we have to go through customs at the airport in Paris to make our connecting flight, or do you just go through customs once when we collect our luggage in Rome? I ask because there is only an hour layover in Paris, which is tricky enough.

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 08:20 AM

Hi, you may want to check this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34508705

I don't have first-hand experience with this though. I usually only have hand luggage.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 08:28 AM

We did this exact flight with AirFrance (Chicago to Paris to Rome, vice versa), and AirFrance lost our luggage on our return trip home. It made customs a HUGE hassle to end up in the US without our checked baggage and we were detained for more than an hour because of this - it caused us to miss our connection home to Denver. What a mess. When we finally did get our luggage, it had bright blue chewing gum smeared ALL over the front and big quarter-sized holes in the front. This was a nice Samsonite suitcase we received as a wedding gift (we were on our honeymoon). Air France refused to do anything, claiming it was "reasonable wear and tear". Air France was so unbelievably rude throughout the entire process that I will NEVER fly with them again.
If you do go with this airline, try not to check anything - that's the best advice I can give!!

Oh, you should go through customs in the first EU country you enter. In this case, Paris. Be sure to leave an hour and a half to get through and get to your next flight. We had to sprint through the airport to make our connection on our way over, and we had left one hour and 15 minutes.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

111op: Thank you for the link to that thread. I think what I am understanding from it is that we will have to go through immigration in Paris, but (if our luggage is checked through to Rome) only have to go through customs with our luggage when we arrive in Rome. Even if that is the case, I'm not sure that 1 hour is enough time. I may try another itenerary. (Gotta love those non-stop flights!)

TexasAggie: Wow, what a bad experience for you! Unfortunately, packing light has never been my thing, so not checking luggage isn't really an option!
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 09:12 AM

Hi gracie, that's my understanding too, but I don't have any first-hand experience.

An hour does seem tight. I don't know enough to know -- but I've read enough about people rushing to catch their flights at CDG here. Presumably if there're no delays you'll be ok.

Did you try a consolidator to see if you can get cheaper flights? Such as this?

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34512081
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 09:48 AM

What is the phrase that all the mutual funds say "past performance is no guarantee of future success" With that disclaimer I will state I have done a simillar trip twice with no problems - close to one hour to make the connection in CDG - both times using Delta or AF codeshare which I think helped because we connected to AF flights to Rome. You will not see your luggage and passing thru immigration was quick and easy (both post Sept. 11th) The transit is a little tricky (lenghty) We walked both times (the second time was in the new terminal - is that still open after the roof collapse?) Also, the second time our flight had a delayed departure from the US so I was really nervous but they made up the time in flight. So I would probably book an itinerary like this again. Now tell me, where did you find that fare? I have been prowling for a fare for mid Oct. and have seen no fall sales lately. We are flying Atl to Venice so I am thinking we too will probably have a plane change in CDC again. Thanks! SueC1
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

I found the fare on Travelocity, and I think it was also on Expedia. I just checked it again, and it's up a little bit, $610, but for a long time now, it has been between $900-1200.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 10:07 AM
ira

Hi gracie,

A one-hr layover for CDG is very tight, especially if you have to change between Terminals 1 & 2.

I suggest that you check with AF for arrival and departure venues.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 10:24 AM

Also as a defense mechanism, you can check real-time flight arrival and departure info here:

http://query.adp.fr/HDV/HDV/fr/horaires.aspx

If your flight tends to be late, then you should probably just forget about making a tight connection. Of course this isn't a guarantee, but it may help you make a more informed decision.