Search

fly or train

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fly or train

As a former lurker, I am now ready to post a few questions.
On December 15th we will know if we can book our 1st trip to europe with our extended family group of 8.
We plan to:
depart LAX and
fly into London and stay for 3 days
then go to Venice and stay for 3 days
then my husband and I will go to Sorrento for 3 days - while the others go to Flourance for 3 days
finally we will reunite in Rome for 3 days
then return to LAX.

Any tips on if we fly or train between each city?
Should we change the order of events?

I will have more questions later...but I want to organize the actual transport first...

justincase
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 02:34 PM

Well - you'll need to fly to Venice - since the train takes 17 hours plus.

But a bigger question - when you say 3 days in each city does that mean you have a travel day in addition to the 3 days in each - or is the travel day (and it will take all or most of the day from one city to another) one of the 3 days.

If the latter - I think you're trying to cover too much territory - and should simplify the trip. Spending only 2 days in London or Rome would be IMHO merely frustrating -- and you would be spending way too much time in airports and train stations vs actually doing anything.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Sorry for the confusion. We plan to sleep 3 nights in each of the mentioned cities.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 03:39 PM

Planning to sleep 3 nights in each place doesn't clarify it to me. You can arrive one night, and then have only two days in a place, departing on the third morning. ?
My suggestion is to plan on travel at night between the cities, as, except for Sorrento, you have very little time allocated for places that a LOT to see.
Are you sure that Sorrento in December is a place you want to spend 3 days?
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 04:12 PM

Agree. You are really only allowing yourelf 2 days in each place. And Sorrrento in winter will be like any beach resort off season. A lot of things closed - often wet and fairly chilly - and a lot of the ferries don;t run regularly - often you can;t get to Capri at all.

If you want to do Pompeii I would do it as a day trip from Rome - and give yourself more time there and in London.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 04:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would cut at least one destination (probably London and stick to Italy).

I think that's too much moving around in too short a time, especially with a group of 8 people. You do need to allow at least 1/2 if not 1 full day each time you change locations (pack, check out of hotel, taxi to airport or train station, make journey, taxi to new hotel, check in).

I suggest fly into Venice stay 4 days, train to Sorrento/Florence for 4 days, train to Rome 4 days there, fly home from Rome.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 06:13 PM

Flight is less expensive then Train. Try Easyjet.com or Ryanair.com. They usaully cheap.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 07:14 PM

I agree that you're trying to cover too many places in too little time as well, but figure you're probably staying over in London because of the flight time from LAX. (I live in Seattle and understand that all too well.) I think you'd be better off cutting out Sorrento this trip and adding more time to Venice and Rome.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

wow, great suggestions!
we will be buying airfare anytime after Dec 15 for the trip which will be in mid-late July 2006.
so...I will talk with the group and look at flying LAX-venice and rome-LAX.