Fly into Belfast then out of Dublin?

Feb 3rd, 2011, 09:47 PM
Original Poster

Fly into Belfast then out of Dublin?

Hope fully this is my last question as we fly out in four days and I need to lock in the last flights. We are flying out of Luton. My husband wants to see Belfast, he is keen on the Black taxi tour (he has seen too many movies) I had thought of flying into Belfast spending one night there and then should we drive/train/bus it to Dublin? I had planned on two nights in Dublin then we are flying to Naples. Is it a nice drive from Belfast to Dublin. We enjoy driving, is there a "better" route to take? Thank you for any advice.
Feb 3rd, 2011, 10:14 PM

Is it a nice drive to from Belfast to Dublin.

It is pleasant enough, rolling countryside once you get out of Belfast. But not particularly scenic or spectacular. The main road is mostly motorway, with tolls in the Republic. There are a few places worth a stop en route, such as the Mourne Mountains, Boyne Valley and Newgrange. If you want to drive, remember most rental companies charge a drop-off fee.
Feb 3rd, 2011, 10:17 PM

There's both coach & train services between Belfast & Dublin
Feb 3rd, 2011, 10:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both, is there a scenic route? We don't mind taking our time if there is a lot to see, if not would you suggest that we take the train so we can both look out the window? Or is quicker just to drive and be done with it? Again, thank you for your time.
Feb 3rd, 2011, 11:14 PM

driving for me is much more better
Feb 4th, 2011, 12:14 AM

Driving is probably a truly, madly, deeply rotten idea for foreign visitors just spending one night in Belfast then wanting to get to Dublin.

Going through the palaver of hiring a car, finding somewhere to put it overnight, working out the possibilities of being charged for dropping in another country, getting to a Dublin hotel and then wondering what on earth you're going to do with it once you're there adds up to infintely more trouble than sitting on a train for 2 hours.

Now if you really want to see the Mountains of Mourne sweeping down to the sea, fine: taxi to a Belfast airport for your car, drive the long way round to Dublin airport, dump it and get a cab to your hotel.

But that's your whole day gone.
Feb 4th, 2011, 12:26 AM

You see a bit of the sea from the train as you're coming in to Dublin. Up to you regarding timing, a rental car is a lot of hassle, imo, between these two cities.
Feb 4th, 2011, 12:37 AM

Many many years ago (pre motorway) I used to drive from Belfast to Dublin on a very regular basis the journey was long and apart from Slane I don't remember it ever being very scenic. Nowadays it is easy, motorway or dual carriageway all the way.

Having said that with your limited time I would take the train. If tickets are bought in Belfast they are cheap (bought in Dublin more expensive). The single fare is £8.99. The train is called the Enterprise.

http://www.translink.co.uk/

Btw train is often quicker as the road although good, is extremely busy and driving around Dublin can be a nightmare. Additionally the ring road around Dublin is an unmanned Toll road and you need to register your car as a photo is taken of the registration and billed to your credit card. If you are not registered you then have to phone and pay the toll or your hire company will be fined.
Feb 4th, 2011, 01:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much, train it is.