Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question about driving from Dublin to Waterford

Old Jun 5th, 2016, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I will be arriving with four other family members from the United States on a Wednesday morning and driving straight to Waterford. We don't plan to do much that first day as we get acclimated. But I wondered whether any of you might have suggestions for a quick, easy stop on the drive from Dublin to Waterford.

Because it'll be my first day of driving on the other side of the road, and we'll be exhausted from flying all night. I'm thinking of somewhere scenic to pull off the road, maybe walk around a little.

Which leads to another question, now that I think about it. For the drive from Dublin, do you suggest the M9 or the N81 for someone driving in Ireland for the first time (and for scenic value)? Or perhaps another route altogether?

Thanks, as always, for your help.
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 04:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Because it'll be my first day of driving on the other side of the road, and we'll be exhausted from flying all night.<<

Which is why you shouldn't attempt this. It will be a 3 hour drive plus stops plus the time arranging the car. Stay in Dublin or very nearby and drive to Waterford the next day,
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 05:01 PM

Good advice from janisj.

I rented a car in Ireland after 10 days of cycling and getting used to riding on the other side of the road - and I still had a couple of close calls the first day. And I was not jetlagged.

Get a good night's rest in Dublin - spend the day at Trinity College, and drive to Waterford the next day.

You can take the scenic route and take your time and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

I never drive on the first day after crossing the Atlantic, even when it's on the right side of the road.
Old Jun 8th, 2016, 03:22 PM

I would agree with the suggestion to stay in Dublin for one night and then venture on to the roads. This is exactly what we did on a recent trip - stayed in Dublin and then drove to Kenmare via Cork. The first part of the drive was easy - motorway but navigating the streets and traffic in Cork was a little tougher! Disclaimer: we lived in the UK for three years over 10 years ago so we had some experience buried in the back of our brains somewhere that we were able to recall pretty readily.
Old Jun 8th, 2016, 03:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
If you are going to do this drive we like the coastal route. Stop and stretch your legs, drink coffee, have lunch in one of the towns along the route. Arklow Maritime Museum would be a good stop. We just enjoyed watching the golfers and seeing the countryside. Wicklow is beautiful.
Old Jun 8th, 2016, 09:08 PM

It is bad enough to drive in a country that drives on the same side with wider roads than Ireland after a long flight.

We drove from Galway to Dingle and saw two close calls. One car pulled in ahead of us, but started driving the right hand side of the road. He suddenly pulled back to the left lane when he realized a car coming right at him. Another car tried to make a right turn into a parking lot on the right. He first started driving on the right lane and then almost hit a cyclist head on. I can see why, according to the traffic accident statistics, foreign drivers are involved in accidents at rate higher than the proportion of foreign drivers in Ireland.
Old Jun 9th, 2016, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

I agree that it would be a much better idea to stay in Dublin first, nut my itinerary doesn't allow it.

Thank you, Macross, for your advice.
Old Jun 9th, 2016, 01:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>nut[sic] my itinerary doesn't allow it.<<

Then change your itinerary . . . Driving impaired is an offense
Old Jun 9th, 2016, 01:57 PM

There are five of you, someone will sleep over on the flight.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Dubl...52.2429391!3e0

Three hour drive. Do it in six with a stop or two.
Old Jun 9th, 2016, 03:10 PM

Hi,
The M9 might be slightly faster but motorway all the way. The N11 has stretches of motorway but might be a little more scenic. The Avoca cafe is an Irish upmarket coffee shop and restaurant with a few branches, two of which are on the N11 route. Both have beautiful gardens if you want to stretch the legs, and lovely home-cooked food. One is at Kilmacanogue, and one at Ashford, the first about an hour from the airport , and the second a bit further, both a good place to break the journey. I have no connection to them, just a great place to stop on a journey. http://www.avoca.com/explore/our-caf...fe-mountusher/
http://www.avoca.com/explore/our-caf...nhouse-kilmac/
Old Jun 9th, 2016, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you again for your advice. (And I apologize for the typo!) And again, if I could change our itinerary, I would. But I can't. I wouldn't drive if I thought I would put anyone in danger.

What you suggested, Macross, is exactly what I had in mind -- making a stop or two. Thank you for the map link.

And Greenykid, the Avoca cafes look very nice (and my mother-in-law would love the gardens), but I think they're a little too nice, considering the rough shape we'll be in! I'll keep an eye out for others as we continue our travels through Ireland.
Old Jun 10th, 2016, 03:40 AM

Good suggestion Greenykid, the Ashford gardens are beautiful. You are seeing other walkers and not super fancy at all. We ate outside there. More people need to know about Ashford. Very pretty walk.
Old Jun 10th, 2016, 02:27 PM

Mount Usher gardens is the correct name. Great little shops there also.
I would like to say that people that fly from the west coast do have jet lag more than me since I live on the east coast. It just does not impact me that much. I have no clue where you are coming from but am sure someone in your group will have some sleep on the plane.
Old Jun 10th, 2016, 03:55 PM

The famine ship Dunbrody in New Ross would make an interesting stop.