Florence to Rome

Search

Florence to Rome

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence to Rome

What is the likelihood of making an international flight departing from Rome (FCO) at 1:00 p.m. on a Sunday, if I am traveling from Florence? What is the most reliable public transportation?
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 09:17 PM

For Sunday, you can get to FCO as early as 10:18 if you are willing to take the 6:30am train from Florence. Trains, if not on strike or having mechanical problem, are reliable public transportation. For international flight, this is on the tight side.

However, when I see this type of question, there are often itinerary management that can help reduce the risk, increase the available time, and also reduce the cost.

If you are interested, why don't you post the remainder of your itinerary?
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 11:29 PM

I wouldn't risk it. We arrived at Florence train station with intentions of catching a train to Rome and connecting with an international flight that night, only to find that there was a train strike. It turned out to be only local trains on strike, but it meant that the ticket office was closed and there wasn't anyone at the station who could give us any assistance.

We eventually got in a queue to buy tickets at a machine (along with dozens of other people) and just made our train, but it was very stressful.

Next time I would make sure I was in Rome the night before.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 06:32 AM
ira

Hi L,

For a 13:00 flight to the US, you should be at the airport at 10:00.

www.trenitalia.com lists the 05:50 as arriving at 09:23 and the 07:00 scheduled to arrive at FCO at 09:53.

If all goes well you could make it on time.

If you stay the night in Rome, you could leave about 09:00 to make your flight.

Old Apr 26th, 2011, 07:11 AM

I would never rely on an Italian train to get me any distance to the airport on the day of my flight. Travel in Italy requires wiggle room because too often things happen: strikes, breakdowns, once a suicide on the tracks.

So if you miss your flight, what happens? You have to buy a full-fare ticket for another flight on maybe another day? Not worth chancing it to my mind.