flight/train advice to Rome/Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we're planning a trip into rome and out of Florence this June. I just stumbled on a fabulous airfare in and out of Rome with 1 stop, which would also mean taking the train from Florence to Rome on the way back. Where is the Rome train station in relation to the airport? What are people's opinions on the practicality of this? Thanks

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 07:21 AM

There is a rail link from Rome's main station (Termini) to the station At the airport.

You would have to factor in the time it takes to change at Termini.

What TIME is your flight out of Rome departing?
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

1pm. I just booked it. $2400 savings for 4 people, I realized it would have to be awfully inconvenient to not make it worth it
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 07:35 AM
LJ

You should have no problem with that timing with a very early start from Florence...however, if you wanted to be really certain you might want to think of an overnight in Rome for your last evening-that amount of savings would buy a lovely last night's worth of memories in The Eternal City.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 08:40 AM

I concur with LJ's suggestion of one night in Rome. Given my experience of train problems in Italy, I wouldn't rely on the trains to catch a same-day flight.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 09:10 AM
ira

Hi E,

Lucky you.

I suggest that you go directly to Florence upon arrival.

You get to Rome TE from FCO on the Leonardo da Vinci express - 0:30 min.

You then take the ES* to Florence - 1:30 hr.

Take the train back to Rome and see Rome.

You have plenty of time to make your 13:00 flight back home.

Train schedules for Aeroporto Fiumicino/Roma TE and Rome/Florence are at www.trenitalia.com.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 09:19 AM

With a 1300 departure (and assuming you need to be AT the airport at LEAST two hours prior to departure) I would agree that you could spend the previous day/night IN Rome and not at the airport and have plenty of time the morning of departure to get there.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

I'm thinking about this. It does seem easier to end in Rome and just go to the airport BUT it means that our first day of travelling is fly to Frankfurt, 3 hr layover, fly to rome, go to train, travel to Florence. We're travelling with teenagers, could be brutal. How unreliable are the Italian trains?
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 11:35 AM

Hello eleanorw, personally I would never depend on the trains in Italy to get me to the airport the day of my departing flight.

Strikes under Italian law need to be announced in advance BUT trains can be late. When I have had that happen annoying as it is I didn't have to panic about getting to the airport..you do not want that experience. So I agree with others, be in Rome the night before your flight. Best regards and have a wonderful trip.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 11:40 AM
ira

Hi E,

>our first day of travelling is fly to Frankfurt, 3 hr layover, fly to rome, go to train, travel to Florence. We're travelling with teenagers, could be brutal. <

I have never found it to be a problem to be brutal with teenagers. It helps make them better human beings.

>How unreliable are the Italian trains?<

The ES* are very reliable. They even refund your fare if they are more than 1 hr (I think) late.

In our experience, adrenaline kicks in and you won't feel exhausted getting to Florence.

There is a nice self-serve restaurant at Rome TE where you can take a break if you have to wait for your train.

The kids can always sleep between Rome and Florence.

Keep in mind, it's only an additional 1:30 hr to get to Florence, and it saves you from having to change hotels your last night.

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

What's the drive like from Florence to Rome? Would it be reasonable to rent a car in Florence for a day and drive to the Rome airport? I'm obviously resistant to going to Florence first.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 02:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Eleanor - please, please don't hire a car just for this. The Rome traffic is awful and IMO the Florence traffic is worse. The trains are great [all those jokes about Mussolini not being such a bad chap as he got the trains to run on time can't be wrong!]

You can find train time tables on trenitalia .it, and do consider what Ira says - he's usually right!

REgards

Ann
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 02:30 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
FWIW - There is a train strike scheduled for June 20,21.