Florence Sites & Day Trips

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm late 20's and husband is early 30's. We love to walk around, eat, drink wine and we'd like to visit a one or two of the famous sites in Florence. Will we need advanced reservations for visiting any sites? We also plan to spend a few nights in Tuscany. We are interested in seeing Siena, San Gimignano, Chianti, Montepulciano, Montalcino and possibly Pisa. Can any of these be day trips from Florence? Or would some of them be more practical to visit or stay in while we're in Tuscany?
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 01:27 PM
ira

Hi dt,

You might find some ideas in my trip report: Ira’s Trip Report (Italy 2003)
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34451044

You can visit Siena, San G and Pisa as daytrips from Florence.

You will want to arrange for the Academia and Uffizi in advance.

Enjoy your visit

Old Mar 18th, 2010, 01:36 PM

It's usually good to have a reservation for the Uffizi and the Accademia. You can usually get into the Accademia just before they close. If you're staying in a boutique hotel (without a concierge) they don't charge anything to do it and they're happy to help.

Even though they are all doable for day trips from Florence, I would enjoy Florence while you're there and do the other areas when you're staying in Tuscany.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 04:32 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you plan to climb the tower, you will need a reservation.
http://www.opapisa.it/
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 04:58 PM

You can absolutely spend three days in Florence and not see 10% of what you should.

As stated, reservations for Uffizi and Accademia are recommended. Your hotel should be able to get you reservations, no problem. There is a small (I think E3) charge at the museums for that reservation.

Santa Croce, the palaces of the Medici, Michaelangelo, DaVinci, Galileo, San Lorenzo, the markets, the gold jewelry, the leather items, the Ponte Vecchio... Oh, I could go on!

Please stop by your local book store and find a copy of the DK Eyewitness Travel Guide for Florence. Even if you don't buy it, it will definitely help you decide what you want to see in Florence.

Buon viaggio!
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 05:02 PM

PS There is a highly-rated tour guide named Luca Garrapa who does Tuscany tours. Many Fodorites have posted rave reviews. We have our first with him scheduled for next month. If you are interested, do a search here at Fodors for reviews. Here is the website: http://www.hillsandroads.com/

We are taking first morning train from Florence and he is picking us up at Siena train station. We will return from same later that evening. I will be posting a trip report mid-May, if you want to come back.