Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Florence 3 full days itinaries suggestion.

Sep 30th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

My wife and I will stay in Florence for 3 full days in mid Oct (taking the overnight train to Brig on the last day). I was thinking to divide the 3 days as follow:

Day 1: Tour/sigthseeing inside the city of Florence (may be go to Pisa for 0.5 day by train)

Day 2: Museums (Uffizi and Accadema)+ more inside Florence

Day 3: Siena day trip and back to Florence at night. (I'm going the take the overnight train to Brig @23:00)

I'm planning to travel to Siena/Pisa by train or bus. Also I might want to switch the itinaries between day 2 and 3 as there might be a lot of travelling on day 3 (to Siena and overnight train?)

Is this a possible plan? Should I rent a car and drive to Siena instead? Would it be too rush just give 1.5-2 days inside city of Florence?

Any suggestions and advises are appreciated

Thanks in advanced

Anselm
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:40 AM

It depends on how interested you are in Renaisance art. This my 3 day itinerary for 3 days in Florence in Nov.
Day 1: Accademia, Museum of San Marco, Medici chapels, Church of Santa Maria Novella, Baptistery, Giotto Tower, Rennaisance Walk.
Day 2: Uffizi Gallery, Pitti Palace, Boboli Gardens, Oltrarno Walk, maybe Piaza di Michaelangelo.
Day 3: Bargello, Duomo Museum, Santa Croce church.

Of course, we probably won't stick to or do everything on the list, but those are our options. To me, 1.5 days seems too short, 2 days are definitely doable though.

Good luck.
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:34 AM

Technically, you will be in Florence three days. But from the looks of your itinerary, if you do to Pisa and Siena, you will only have one full day for Florence, possibly 1 1/2 days at best.

If this is your first trip to Florence, you might want to reconsider Pisa.

Take a look at Fodor's three-day itinerary which covers the highlights of Florence: http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...&feature=30003
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:42 AM
ira

Hi Anselm,

Unless you really, really, really must see the leaning tower, I suggest that you drop Pisa.

Uffizi and Academia Museum Reservations
The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 1.60 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services.

You might find the Florence part of my trip report helpful

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34451044

Sep 30th, 2004, 11:58 AM

If physical limitations aren't an issue, I'd strongly urge you to stroll through the Boboli Gardens. There are some wonderful views of the city from the hilltop.