Florence Restaurant Choices - please critique

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2004, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, off to Italy in the beginning of October with my parents (their first trip) our first three days are in Florence.

I have picked out some restaurants that I would like to try, I want to keep the experience for my parents as non fussy as possible, but would like fun restaurants with good atmosp and food at reasonable prices. I have picked:

Saturday Night: Osteria Santo Spirito
or Trattoria Antellisi

Sunday Lunch: Osteria Cinghiale Bianco
or Il Fratellini (sandwich in street)

Sunday Night:Trattoria Quattro Leoni or
Trattoria Baldovino

Monday Lunch:Trattoria Mario for Steak

Monday Night:Acqua al 2

I dont think the girls will be able for this many meals but I know my dad and husband are looking forward to this part of the trip with gusto. My father keeps saying he cant wait for Florentine Steak.

Please let me know if these are winners or if you would suggest something else. I have been to Il Latini and had a great time and Im looking for that kind of vibe, but I did not think the food was fab and was hoping to do better.

Thanks a million. Anne

Old Sep 17th, 2004, 06:52 AM

My favorite non-fussy family oriented place in Florence was Antica Pizzeria dell?Arte on via del Giglio, 28. The have a wood burning pizza oven with the most incredible food. Pizzas (of course) homemade soups, steaks, salads etc. We went back the next night and they welcomed us like old friends and showed us tot he same table as the night before. It was lively with families and conversation. We will go back in December.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 06:55 AM

We enjoyed both Baldovino and Osteria del Cinghiale Bianco. They both are fun and reasonable. I might suggest Cinghaile Bianco for dinner unless you want your big meal in the middle of the day.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 06:56 AM

My cousin and I really enjoyed Osteria...Bianco. This is what I added to my journal:

Osteria del Cinghaile Bianco
Borgo S. Jacopo, 43r
Tele: 055-215706
http://www.cinghialebianco.it
[email protected]
This Osteria was highly recommended to me by fellow fodorites, as well as being listed in several guidebooks. I love risotto! I had the risotto with asparagus. I also had the wild boar meat with polenta. I didn't write down what Reenie had, but along with her meal and a large jug of red house wine, the bill came to $71.

We also enjoyed our steak at Il Latini:

il Latini
via Palchetti, 6r
Tele: 055210916
http://www.illatini.com/ or [email protected]
Excellent meal in a busy and noisy but fun place. We shared a melon and proscuitto appetizer, followed by Riboletto, and we shared the Florentine steak (1 kilo for 36 Euros). The steak was very good! House red wine, water; Tiramisu for dessert (shared); Vin Santo with Cantucci compliments of the restaurant. $84

Monica
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, Sandi that place you mentioned sounds just like what I am looking for as if the guys want to eat a full meal they can go ahead and its ok for mom and myself just to have pizza and wine? It is beginning to sound like a feeding frenzy but it is so hard to make a decision. I wish we could just have all the ambiance and order tiny, tiny dinners.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 08:03 AM

The first evening we were there it was a little chilly outside and rainy. I love soup and wanted a big bowl of soup and maybe a salad. That's what I had, my husband had a steak and my son had the best pizza we've ever had to date. He still swears that it was the best. You must try the pizza margerhita (sp).
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

I definitely will keep this place on top of my list because I know we will want to eat much lighter than the men and this sounds just perfect. Where is it in relation to the Duomo? Also I was looking for a website or a picture? and how about hours and reservations (sorry to be a pest!)
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 12:12 PM

Aine, for some reason I cannot find the site that had the hours of operation etc. but I know I printed it out and it's in my trip book at home. When I get there, I'll post again..so look for a response later tonight. In the mean time, maybe some one with a Florence map can help you pinpoint its location. I know it's very close to the Duomo.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 12:20 PM

BTW Aine, I found a map of where it is..here's the link

http://www.maporama.com/share/Map.asp?SESSIONID={98213841-66EA-44B5-B300-7C18F3069079}&ZoomSet=2
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 01:13 PM

Acqua Al Due was great...get reservations. Another great one we ate a 2 weeks ago was Da Osvaldo. Ask for Marco. He will take good care of you and get the biscotti for dessert!
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 06:20 PM

Another vote for Osteria de Cinghale Bianco; it's on the "other side" of the Ponte Vecchio. Cross the PV,make first right onto Borgo Jacopo, parallel to Arno. Cinghale Bianco is down a couple blocks on left side of street.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 10:59 PM

Rosticceria La Spada -- great for casual unfussy dining , and they do takeout (big after-work local crowd picking up food to take home, so a good place to stop if you are doing an out of town picnic or drive). (Near Santa Maria Novella on Via della Spada).

Glad to hear Cingiale Bianco is still good, we've enjoyed this place for decades. (Makes me feel old to say that...)
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 06:41 AM

Aine- Just wondered if you went to Antica Pizzeria dell Arte? We're going back in December and wondered if it was still as good as we remembered.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sandi! No of course when we got there most of our plans went out the window! We stuck to about 10% of our plan and had a fantastic time though. Most of the restaurants there are now non-smoking which was great for us. Where are you staying? The place we stayed Tourist House Ghiberti was FANTASTIC and cost E115 cash a night! Spotless, soundproof, free internet, huge new bathroom with tub, 1 or 2 mins from the Duomo, nice litte terrace for breakfast. Are you bringing your son with you this time.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 06:26 PM

Hi

I like Osteria Santo Spirito. There is a sort of East Village feel to it; kind of hip but not too hip. Casual with good food and large portions. Not too expensive. I would go back.

I had a starter that was enough for a meal: it was prosciutto wrapped around cheese, then grilled and layed on a bed of arugula.

I also had pasta and I think it was in a light and creamy tomato sauce. I remember that both portions were gigantic. A lot of people were turned away the night we were there, so do reserve.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 06:50 AM
ira

Hi aine,

We very much liked Il Ritrovo
Via de? Pucci 4/A
Best food for the price Has fish. Full dinner w/wine abt 40E pp Closed Monday
From Pzza San Giovani (NW corner of the Pza del Duomo) walk one blk East to Via dei Martelli. Go left to Via dei Pucci. Turn Right. Look very carefully on left. No sign. Door could be locked. Ring bell.

You can eat lightly or heavily.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 10:32 AM

My two favorite places to eat on my last trip to Florence (Oct. 2004) were Bucca Mario and Trattoria Al Trebbio - both near the Piazza Ottaviani and S.M. Novella area.
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Melissajoy

I Fratellini is terrific...great little sandwiches on fresh rolls with very interesting filling choices...the tasty sandwiches are small so you might like 2 of them...about 2,10 euros each...cheap and gourmet!

It's just a little window in the street...no tables, you either stand, sit on the curb, or walk just around the corner and sit on the church steps and eat. You can also get a glass of wine.

My teens really enjoyed this place! A worthwhile experience if you're in the area.

Old Nov 7th, 2004, 07:47 AM

Aine-

Yes, our son is going again. 6 weeks until we leave!
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 06:23 AM

I have eaten at Quattro Leone about a dozen times for lunch. The food is dependable and the service good. We are treated better there when our Florentine friend dined with us. Larger portions (they are not generous) and lower prices. Also, they do not customize anything for you so don't ask for anything special.

We go there for business lunches because of the location.

I have not been to Cinghiale Bianco but they seem to always be busy. As for Il Latini, IMO it is for tourists and the meal we had there was one of the few bad meals I have ever had in Florence in more than a dozen visits.

Aqua al Due is very good. I also like Trattoria Vittorita for fish.