Florence Rental Car

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2008, 05:50 PM
QM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence Rental Car

Hello there,

Getting prepared for my Honeymoon at the end of September. We are traveling Italy for two weeks and cannot wait.
Although we are using the train to get around we are renting a car for a portion of the trip.
We will pick up the car in Pisa and then have it in Tuscany for a few days before dropping it off in Florence.
Where would be the best place to drop of the car in Florence? The airport or in town? any recommendations on rental companies?

Thanks for your input.

QM
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 05:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Where are you going after you drop the car? And how will you be getting to that destination?
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 06:39 PM

Jean's questions are on the mark. If you are getting on a train there, or spending some time staying in Florence, then you should drop it off in town, as the rental agencies are close to the train station (relatively speaking). If you are departing directly by air after dropping off the car, then the airport would seem the better choice.

But I think you could have figured this out, so I wonder if there is more to your question??

We got a good price by renting in the US on the website and prepaying. We used one of the large American companies, altho I am not sure if it was Hertz or Avis.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 07:30 PM

We rented our car from Avis in Chiusi and after several days dropped it at the airport in Florence. The thing is that you don't want to drive into the city of Florence - getting to the airport was bad enough because the sign for the airport is TINY! lol
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 05:00 AM

Driving into Florence is no picnic, but if that is their destination, then it would seem that they do want to drive into the city......
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 05:05 AM
ira

HI Q,

The airport is not far from town.

A cab will be abut 15E to the SMN train station.

There is also bus service.

>any recommendations on rental companies?<

www.kemwel.com,
www.gemut.com,
www.autoeurope.com, www.novacarhire.com

Happy Honeymoon.

Old Aug 19th, 2008, 06:32 AM

AutoEurope will seek the best rate for you as they are a "clearing house" so to speak and use several different car rental companies. Their toll free number 1-800-223-5555.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 10:56 AM

We went got the best price through Gemut last year. We also returned the car in Florence proper. It was an adventure, but not bad if you are used to driving in cities. The only problem is not wandering into a restricted area. We're still waiting to see if we get ticketed!
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 04:13 PM
QM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help.

Yes, I suppose I should have included the fact that we are staying downtown in Florence for a couple of nights. Not sure whether to drop off car at airport or drive downtown.

I think based on some of the comments that dropping off at the airport and taking a bus or cab downtown would be the easiest.

Q
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 04:23 PM

We have done both and turning in the car at the airport and taking taxi to accomodations was by far the easier, less stressful of the two.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 04:50 PM
J62

The ticket for driving in the Florence restricted zones (ZTL) is about 90 euro. Chances are very good that you'll drive through the ZTL without even knowing it.

Do yourself a favor - return the car at the airport and take a taxi to your hotel.