Search

Florence-Pisa-?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence-Pisa-?

My husband and I leave next week for a two week trip to Italy. We'll spend the first week in Florence and the second in Rome. DH has never been to Italy, so even though he's definitely not a planner, he's deciding where to go. During our week in Florence, I'm planning two day trips - one to the market in Abrezzo and one to Pisa. During the week in Rome, I have only one trip planned - Pompeii. He really wants to see the Mediterranean, but the pretty mediterranean, not the mediterranean of Naples and such.
Is it realistic to think we could go to Pisa and then on to the coast in one day? We'd both be okay to see the leaning tower and not spend much time in Pisa. Could we go to Cinque Terre and get back to Florence in one day? I've read some great reports of this area. If not, are there other coastal towns that are near Pisa and are nice?
We'd like to stay with day trips only, as neither of us wants to cart a ton of bags from place to place for the entire trip, we have our reservations, etc.
Thank you so much for all your help, now and in our trip planning.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 09:07 AM
ira

Hi S,

>He really wants to see the Mediterranean, but the pretty mediterranean, not the mediterranean of Naples and such.<

Ummmmmmmmmmmm. The Bay of Naples and the Amalfi Coast are absolutely glorious.

May I suggest taking some time from Florence and staying in Sorrento to see Pompei and the AC?

Is there a reason for not going to Venice?

Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 09:23 AM

Since your reservations are already in place, perhaps your can leave your bags in your Rome accomodations and spend one night in Sorrento with just a little day bag for your overnight items. You could visit Pompeii on the way there, arriving in Sorrento in the late afternoon. Take a bus and/or boat along the Amalfi Coast the next day. Get a train back to Rome from Salerno at the southern end of the route later in the day.

And yes, as Ira said, this area is the "pretty Mediterraean" as well.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I've only been briefly to the city of Naples, and it didn't compare to pictures of some of the smaller coastal towns.
We may go to Venice - honestly - I didn't want to spend the whole trip on trains dragging our bags around. I thought it would be better to pick one-two central spots and really enjoy them. My DH is not one to travel on a schedule - he'd prefer to wander around and see what he sees.
I've been to Venice - I stayed for 3-4 days the last time I was in Italy (5 years ago).
Thanks - are there any specific cities on the Bay of Naples or Amalfi Coast?
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 09:47 AM

Pompeii and Sorrento are on the Bay of Naples.

I understand your concern about Naples. Perhaps it was the city of Naples surrounding you that influenced your impressions of the Mediterranean from there. Naples can be challenging for many travelers.

There are many towns along the Amalfi Coast--most often mentioned is Positano. Take a look at a map and we can help better with specific questions.

Cinque Terre is that it is a very long day trip from Florence, as is Pompeii from Rome. We're suggesting The addition of the Amalfi area to avoid two long daytrips--it combines the desire to see Pompeii with the desire for the pretty Mediterranean. I would prefer a simple overnight in one place with a minimum of luggage to two very long (3-4 hours in each direction) day trips.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Here's a few more details regarding the trip. Maybe you'll have more suggestions.
Fri 3/2 Arrive in Florence
Sun 3/4 Abrezzo for Market
* Sometime - Pisa, Maybe Venice
Thur 3/8 Florence to Rome, maybe stop in Orvieto.
Sat 3/10 3pm Scavi tour
Sun 3/11 Travel to Sorrento
Mon 3/12 Pompeii
Thur 3/15 Return Home

We would likely leave most of our baggage at the hotel in Rome. My DH wants to put his feet in the Med.
I found a hotel in Sorrento for $50E so it's not going to add too much to the budget.
I also saw that for the Roma to Napoli train there are 2for1 ticket specials. Would you recommend making this reservation in advance? In general, we're not making advance reservation - back to DH's desire to travel without a schedule.
Thanks again.
Stephanie
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Here's a few more details regarding the trip. Maybe you'll have more suggestions.
Fri 3/2 Arrive in Florence
Sun 3/4 Abrezzo for Market
* Sometime - Pisa, Maybe Venice
Thur 3/8 Florence to Rome, maybe stop in Orvieto.
Sat 3/10 3pm Scavi tour
Sun 3/11 Travel to Sorrento
Mon 3/12 Pompeii back to Rome
Thur 3/15 Return Home

We would likely leave most of our baggage at the hotel in Rome. My DH wants to put his feet in the Med.
I found a hotel in Sorrento for $50E so it's not going to add too much to the budget.
I also saw that for the Roma to Napoli train there are 2for1 ticket specials. Would you recommend making this reservation in advance? In general, we're not making advance reservation - back to DH's desire to travel without a schedule.
Thanks again.
Stephanie
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 05:58 AM

I've never heard of Abrezzo--do you mean Arezzo and the antique market?

Reserving train tickets ahead is rarely necessary in italy and is usually done for exactly your reasons--to take advantage of a reduced fare offer. You must weigh the savings against your husband's desire for freedom. You know what your budget and peace of mind will stand. However, he's already given up some of that desire by agreeing to the Sorrento diversion. It's your call . . .
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 06:49 AM
ira

Hi S,

>for the Roma to Napoli train there are 2for1 ticket specials. Would you recommend making this reservation in advance? <

Discount tickets sell out quickly.

>* Sometime - Pisa, Maybe Venice...

If you are only planning a daytrip, I suggest leaving Venice for another visit.

Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:21 AM

Let me add one caveat,watch the weather.
If it's raining, don't go to Sorrento.
The view just won't be the same.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 07:55 AM

Hi,
I will say that Pisa is not worth wasting a day at all. I really did not enjoy this at all. It is literally the tower, a church (you have to have sleeves to get in), and a small flea market. You cannot go in the tower, unless you have reservations way in advance (this is when I went, not sure if this has changed) Instead, why not a day trip to a winery in Tuscany? Much more beautiful place, and enjoyable. As for "pretty Mediterranean", Capri and Sorrento are stunning!!! I strongly recommend a trip in that direction. Otherwise, enjoy Rome and Florence, both have lots to see!