Search

Rome, Naples, Sorrento & Amalfi!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome, Naples, Sorrento & Amalfi!

Hi All,
Myself & my boyfriend (both in our 30's and our 12 yr old) are going to Italy for 8 or 9 days, flying into Naples in mid August and out of Rome. (I know August is not ideal but it was our only option this year!)
Here is what we want to see near Naples:
Naples - Pompeii museum ( & see historical centre)
Pompeii
Amalfi (and boat trip along coast)
Ravello for the views
Capri if there is time (is it a must/ or too crowded in August?)
Some partial days by the pool/sea for the teenager!

I'm thinking 5 nights around Naples/Amalfi & 3 in Rome - is the the best split for what we want to see?

I have researched hotels for hours and while Sorrento is not calling to me I think is is the best base to see above and save time on travel?

Hotels with pools (whats left at this stage!) in Sorrento town seem overpriced and basic for our room budget (€130 - €160 per night) so I have begun to look at Sant'agata de gofii or Sant'Agnello meaning we have more chance of a pool/better teen friendly hotel with resturants in walking distance rather than staying in the hills of Sorrento and having to rely on shuttle buses to go for dinner etc, has anybody stayed in these areas with kids?
Is Massa Lubrensse just too far out for day trips?
Or would you suggest arriving in Naples (I've heard mixed review on the area) and staying there one night to see museum and Pompeii and then heading round to Amalfi and staying there for the 4 nights to travel around the coast?
I understand this will make it harder to get to Rome - boat to Salerno and then Train to Rome?
Sorry for all the questions, I just can't decide what is best!
Thanks in advance
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 07:52 PM
kja

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your question, but I would not try to use a single hotel for Rome and Naples/the Amalfi Coast -- they are just to far from one another. I think you need at least 2 different hotels. I'm not sure what sources you are using to identify your options, but do check booking.com - it's a site with lots of good information. Just be sure to check cancellation policies before you book anything!

Good luck!
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 01:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks no we plan on splitting the trip 6 nights near Naples/Sorrento and 2 in Rome...I just can't seem to find many hotels near Sorrento in August that have a pool and are not very basic or madly expensive! My other option was to spend Night 1 in Naples and see Pompeii from there then head to Amalfi town on Day 2 stay there for 5 nights then go to Rome and stay 2 nights before flying out from there!
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 11:23 AM

Rome/Naples 1 hour and 10 min by frecciarossa train (www.trenitalia.com)
Naples Sorrento 1 hour by local train -circumvesuviana-
Naples it's a very interesting city, there is so much to see and food is excellent!
Pompei is a must
Regarding hotels: Sant'Agata de golfi is too far from the circumvesuviana train station. Go for Sant'Agnello
I would definitely hire a guide for Pompeii You might want to see Herculaneum as well
The company I used for Naples, Capri and Pompeii is vesuviusvspompeii. They are great, knowledgeable, friendly and supportive
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 09:55 PM

If you want a hotel with a pool, why not stay in Pompei? There are plenty of hotels with pools, and that way you can get a very early start in the morning and beat the heat touring Pompei.

What I would suggest is fly into Naples, head right for Pompei, have a swim, and maybe see Herculaneum that day if you are up for it. There is good pizza to eat in the town of Pompei. Next morning, get up early, see the main site of Pompei, quit by noon, go have a swim and some lunch, then go into Naples for the museum and a look see, more pizza, and take the train back to Pompei at night.

The next morning, leave for the Amalfi via Sorrento. To make life simple, stay in Amalfi town or Atrani (better for the budget). Have lunch, have a swim, and take the bus up to Ravello for a gelato and views, then walk down to Amalfi or Atrani before it gets dark.

Enjoy a day on the coast. Maybe take a boat ride to Positano and a bus ride back, or head over to Capri and take the chair lifts for the views.

Next day, take the ferry to Naples or Salerno and take the train to Rome.

Does that work for you?
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 09:56 PM

You can look for Pompei hotels with a pool here:

http://www.booking.com/city/it/pompei.en.html
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 10:07 PM
kja

> I would definitely hire a guide for Pompeii

I respectfully disagree with jameshooks2. Instead, I would say that a guide is an option, but not necessarily the best one. It depends on you and your preferences. I thought the audio guide more than sufficient. But it really depends on what you want. I had read a LOT in advance, and didn't think I needed a guide to make sure I saw the highlights.
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 10:16 PM

PS: You should also look in Torre del Greco and Ercolano
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, Steve, I researched the Pompeii/ Atrani idea, but had heard there wasn't much in Pompeii in the way of resturants etc, but I would give it a go if I could find accomodation in Atrani, it sounds perfect- walk to Amalfi and bus up to Ravello but alas hotels there are thin on the ground for my dates and budget. I would love to stay in Amalfi/Atrani so I would not have to rush back to Sorre nto and could then go to Rome via Salerno, but this idea seems to be out now! That's what I get for going in August I suppose!

Having very little look with Central Sorrento hotels for less than €200 per night also , now considering Sant'Angello as a base, just concerned about lack of public transport back their after an evening out, or day trip to Amalfi etc! Also adds to time spent travelling

O
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed in Sant'Angello ? Did you find it awkward getting in and out of Sorrento for dinner/ day trips to Amalfi?
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 05:08 AM

There are plenty of restaurants in the town of Pompei, in all price categories. There are not any restaurants in the excavation area of Pompei (just a cafeteria), but the town is almost nothing but restaurants and hotels.

What websites are you using to look for lodgings in Amalfi and Atrani? Do any of these places work for your dates and budget?

http://www.venere.com/italy/atrani/?ref=1650950

Do you mean Sant'Agnello? It is on the Circumvesuviana line, which helps get you to the port and to Pompeii, but you are right it is extra time. It's got dozens of restaurants, probably less touristy and expensive then ones in Sorrento, so I wouldn't travel into Sorrento just to eat.
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Yes Stevewith I meant Sant'Agnello, typing on iPad too fast!
I was looking on booking.com and hotels.com but were all well over €200 a night for a triple room.
Settled on Sant' Agnello now, so fingers crossed it all goes well, can't wait , now I just have to confirm the day trips plan the Rome leg