Florence or Sorrento/Pompeii

Old Mar 4th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence or Sorrento/Pompeii

So I have about 8 days to spend in Italy in May and am having trouble picking the best route. I have already been to Rome and Florence for 2 days each in 2003. I am going with my boyfriend (we are just graduating from college) and he is not interested in art museums so that was making me think maybe the southern route would be better, but I can't decide! My two choices so far are:

Day 1-3: Rome
Day 4: Day trip to Florence, Assisi, or more Rome
Day 5: Travel to Naples, stop to look around, ferry to Sorrento(base city for day trips)
Day 6: Day trip to Pompeii
Day 7: Day trip to Capri
Day 8: Back to Rome, night train to Munich

OR:

Day 1-3: Rome
Day 4: Ostia Antica day trip
Day 5: Stop in Assisi on way to Florence
Day 6: Florence
Day 7: Day trip from Florence to Siena
Day 8: Back to Rome, night train to Munich

Any thoughts on which one is better and if so why do you think so? Also does anybody know of any budget hotels or B&B's in Sorrento (under 80 euro for double in May)? I have found lots of hostels but thought I might want to stay somewhere different.
Thanks!
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 02:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you go to Sorrento, I don't think I would stop and look around Naples (you would have to store your luggage). There is a bus from Rome Tiburtina station to Sorrento if their departure times work for you. www.marozzivt.it

Why the night train? I would fly from Naples (take the Curreri shuttle bus from Sorrento to Naples airport - 6&euro to Munich on one of the budget airlines.
www.whichbudget.com or www.skyscanner.net
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 03:21 PM

Our son who really wanted to visit Rome and is also not interested in art museums would undoubtedly pick the southern route option, with Day 4
more Rome instead of day trip to Florence. He is very interested in ancient Roman history and also found he enjoyed the piazzas and street scene in Rome.
I think 2 days in Rome makes it hard to enjoy that city so would encourage you to stay longer no matter which itinerary you choose
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 06:15 PM

What are your boyfriend's interests? History, Architecture, beautiful scenery? hiking? Food?

Because I find it very romantic, I would spend most of the time on the Amalfi Coast. Base somewhere on the coast near Amalfi or base in Sorrento north of the AC and visit the AC. Spend one day seeing Pompeii (very easy by train from Sorrento), one seeing the Coast (by boat for really romantic views of Positano or take the bus for great views from the cliffs), and one on Capri. Look at threads by Ira for good ways to do this.

The first time I saw this area, I said, "If you can't fall in love here, you can't fall in love anywhere." It is that beautiful!
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 05:11 AM
ira

Hi L,

Your second plan is much better.

Why are you going back to Rome. There are "Smart Price" fares from Florence to Munich at www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

>I am going with my boyfriend (we are just graduating from college) and he is not interested in art museums

What did he major in - PhysED or ENGR?

So much for an expensive college "education".

There is more to Florence than art museums.

Old Mar 5th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

We really like history, religious places,architecture, and good scenery. Basically the only thing he is not into is paintings.

I'm actually the engineering major, I like art, he doesn't.

I think I will do the southern route with an extra day in Rome. Rome was my favorite place last time I went to Europe. Has anybody been to the Archealogy Museum in Naples? Is it worth stoping in Naples just for that?

Thanks for all the help!
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 11:18 AM

Yes, the Archeology Museum is worth a trip. You can do a stopover in Naples, leave your luggage at the train station and, also from the train station, take the subway to a stop near the museum.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 01:09 PM

I agree the archeology museum is worth seeing-- especially for the mosaics and sculpture from Pompeii and Herculaneum