Florence in only 2 days?

Search

Florence in only 2 days?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence in only 2 days?

My husband and I are planning a our first trip to Italy for this September. We will be in Florence for 2 days (Sun & Mon). Since the Uffizi & Accademia are closed on Monday, is it possible to hit the highlights of these galleries in just an afternoon? (I plan on reserving tickets in advance.) We will be taking the train in from Venice, so we won't even get into the city until 1:30(I don't want to try to make the 6:30am train out of Venice). We are not big museum people, but we want to spend a little time there.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:55 PM

September is a crowded time. If you just want to look at David quickly, 15 minutes at Accademia would likely suffice. When I went through Uffizi with the audioguide, which only hits major points, it took about four hours, although I did some backtracking and looking around on my own. If you have a small list of specific paintings you want to see, then you just need to factor in the necessity to maneuver around the crowds.

If you are supposed to arrive at 1:30, plan to arrive around 2:00. Some have recommended storing luggage at the station, but then I read that often these lockers are all occupied by noon. So if you got a hotel near the train station and moved quickly, maybe you could be out again by 2:30 (but this is optimistic). Look at the opening times for each of the museums, and see what you can do. Could you possibly take an earlier train from Venice?

Walking between Accademia and Uffizi would probably take about 15 minutes.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 02:03 PM
ira

Hi sher,

Sunday afternoon and Monday in Florence?

May I suggest that you add it to Venice or wherever you will be going afterward?

I think that if you could do Monday afternoon and Tuesday it could be worthwhile.

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 03:33 PM

Hi there,
If you plan on going to any museum, RESERVE by phone ...there's a long line for these places. AND since you're not big on museums NEVER take those tour guides because they will discuss every statues and paintings...
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 04:15 PM

OR: Skip the Ufizzi. I know, but you said you aren't "big museum people" and the Uffizi is kind of a big museum.

I think this would be akin (almost) to squeezing the Louvre in to a day and a half in Paris.

See David, stroll, eat, on Monday shop and stop in lots of churches. OR go to the Bargello, one of my all time favorite museums; it is small and easy to do and lovely, and the building really "feels" like Florence. Here are opening times copied off www.weekendafirenze.com

Monday - Sunday(*)
8:15 - 13:50

(*) Notice
1st, 3rd, 5th Monday: Open
2nd, 4th Monday: Closed
1st, 3rd, 5th Sunday: Closed
2nd, 4th Sunday: Open

If you see the Duomo, the Baptistry and its famous doors, David at the Accademia, stroll about the city to some lovely piazzas, you will have no problem filling your day and a half.

And, according to the weekendafirenze.com website, the Medici Chapels are open, I think, on alternate Sundays and Mondays from the Bargello. Check it out.

If you visit the Medici Chapels, which won't take you long, you can also visit the San Lorenzo street market, which is fun if you like shopping.

So much to do. I say save the Ufizzi for a longer visit. My 2 cents.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your input. I think that we will do as suggested and skip the Uffizi all together. I want to be able to enjoy the beauty of Florence without feeling rushed.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 10:39 AM
ira

Hi sher,

>I don't want to try to make the 6:30am train out of Venice.

How about taking the 08:16 commuter train from Venice SL to Mestre and taking the 08:44 ES* to Florence - Arr 11:21?

You could also stay in Venice and make Florence a day trip on a day when everything is open.