Florence hotels advice - 1 star, train station, or more expensive

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are people's opinions about 1 star hotels in Florence? I have booked Soggiorno Bavaria near the Duomo, a one star hotel which got decent reviews - until I saw one review that said they got bed bugs!

Also, is the area near the train station in Florence safe to stay in? We will be 2 single women traveling, and i assume we will want to be out at night, and so may come back late to our hotel. I have booked Hotel Nuova Italia as well, but it is near the station.

I have also booked Hotel Casci - but at 145e a night, it costs quite a bit more than the other 2. Is it worth that?

i wanted Soggiornion Battistero, but it's full.

Any advice?
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 08:40 PM

Please look into the Hotel Alessandra. It is a 2* in a fabulous location.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 01:34 AM

From my experience last year...I would not stay in a 1 star in Italy. Maybe I coose bad but we stayed at the Il Perseo and it was awful. We were trying to save some cash and could only get a room with a shared bath. We only stayed 1 night as my parter had been eaten by mosquitos, the large room had a didet in the corner and was damp, and the best was the shared toilets. I thought 2-3 rooms shared....it was much more than that and I was the last to use the next day. I was not thrilled at the state of the place and thought it was not the cleanest. I was miserable and we went to a few up market places that were too pricey and finally found the hotel we moved to ner the mercato centrale (SP). We told him where we were staying and why we were mnoving and thwy had a room for us! It was only 100 and 4 star and we paid 60 or 70 for the 1 star. We lost 1 nights money and moved outselves. Be careful what you get. I feel that even the 4 star was more of a 3 star and this seemed to be the case everywhere else.

Old Apr 14th, 2004, 03:05 AM

Try the Hotel Caravaggio. It is a few blocks from the train station, but I think it is just as safe as any other area in Florence. It was completely redone in November, not plush, but clean and comfortable, and prices are below average for the quality. We stayed there in March and it was fine.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 03:55 AM
ira

Hi chanad,

If you don't mind spending less, I can recommend the B&B Peterson.

www.bedinflorence.it

See my trip report
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 06:07 AM

Hi,

We stayed at Pensione Centrale when we were in Florence about a month ago. Its very close to the train station and even closer to the duomo. The prices were good and the rooms decent.

Good luck!
Tracy
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 06:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I can speak highly for the Alessandra as well. I included a glowing review of it in my trip report last month.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 06:40 AM

The area around the train station is not as impressive, in term of safety, as those around the Duomo. Although we stayed in the area beween the Duomo and the Mercato Centrale, we had to take 3 train trips during our week in Florence and that was the only place in the city where we were asked (begged) for money from a group of young (homeles?s) people plus there were just too many people/group just loitering and suspiciously hanging around by the square between the SMN church and the train station.

I wouyldn't recommend this area to stay in.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 08:17 AM
ira

Hi ez,

The police are aware of the potential for disruption.

They patrol the area, both plainclothes and uniform.

We saw a couple of drunks get into a fight one night. It took less than 5 min to subdue, handcuff and haul them away in a van.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 09:12 AM

My wife and I stayed at the Plaza Lucchesi when in Florence in October. Check it out on <www.plazalucchesi.it> Very nice- do not recall cost?
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 10:03 AM

Hi ira,

Even with the police patrols, the train station area, like I said in my earlier post, appeared to have too many suspicious hangers-on and loiterers. My wife and I were there just last week for 7 days, and for the one and only time, we were approached by a group of young people asking for money (I heard the word "monetta" one too many times) as we were walking back to our hotel from the train station at around 8 pm. We just ignored them and kept on walking while we heard laughters behind us.

Perhaps, you are right and the police are patrolling, but I'm not one to wait for any untoward incident to happen, even for just 5 minutes. I'll just fork up the few extra bucks and pay for a hotel in a descent neighborhood rather than compromise myself or my family.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 11:40 AM

I don't think I'd stay in a hotel that was in the area immediately surrounding the Piazza SMN, because of the loiterers at night. However, there are several streets with many recommended budget hotels that are northwest of the train station, and there is nothing wrong with this area. (This is where the Nuova Italia is, on via Faenza.)
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 12:47 PM

Hi chanad,

2 of us stayed at the Hotel Abaco, halfway between the Duomo and the station. Double with shower for 75E (shared WC). Very clean, very helpful owners. Downside, you have to climb to the third floor. Small price to pay for a good location.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 04:32 PM

Correction to my post above. The Piazza SMN is south and slightly west of the station, and via Faenza is northEAST.