Florence hotel advice

Search

Florence hotel advice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence hotel advice

Is it possible to get a 4 star hotel in the $200s in central Florence within walking distance of the main attractions? If so, could you give me some suggestions? If we have to pay more to get a nice hotel in a convenient location, we will. Is it true that the area around the train station isn't too desirable and we should be closer to the Arno?
Thanks
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 03:13 AM
ira

Hi P,

I suggest you go to www.venere.com for hotel choices. There are a couple of 4* hotels in your price range.

Old Nov 5th, 2005, 04:51 AM
rfb

Peggy,
This is only a three star hotel but we really enjoyed it.

http://paris.hotelinfirenze.com/main_en.htm?source=

The building is not as fully restored as they say. I think there may still be a problem with the elevator. At €180 the Presidential room is a steal; I understand that some of the lesser rooms are not such a bargain. The staff was exceptionally helpful and friendly. It is within easy walking distance of both the station and the duomo.

Old Nov 5th, 2005, 05:10 AM

We stayed at the Boscolo Hotel Astoria, Via del Giglio, last February and loved it. I booked early and got a lovely room, with great view of the Duomo, for $165/night.

The hotel is located down the street from the Medici Chapels, in the San Lorenzo area. It's about a 5-minute walk to the train station and in the midst of nice shopping, markets, restaurants, etc. Easy walking to all the major sights. Friendly staff who gave us some wonderful dining recommendations. We really enjoyed the hotel and it's location.

While we were near the train station, we never ventured in that direction, so I can't comment on the area but, usually, train stations are a little more seedy than other areas of most European cities. However, we walked to the train station, with our luggage, for departure and never felt uncomfortable.

Florence offers many wonderful hotels. It's hard to choose one, but we were extremely satisfied with the Astoria.
Check it out at www.Boscolo.com.

Val

Old Nov 5th, 2005, 05:42 AM
hdm

We stayed in the area between the train station and San Lorenzo market at the Hotel Globus (3*)and it was just fine -- not glamorous but clean, inexpensive and very pleasant. At first we complained because we didn't get a 'room with a view' which we had requested. They were fine about admitting it was their error and offered to move us (and give us complimentary drinks in the bar) but we stayed where we were. We ended up in a central room with a view of two airshafts but that meant it was incredibly quiet.

We found that everything in Florence was pretty much walking distance from everything else. Our neighbourhood was lively in the evenings and we felt perfectly safe walking around.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 08:40 AM

A couple years ago we stayed at Hotel Calzaiuoli, on the street with the same name that connects the Duomo and Piazza Signoria – great location, I would stay there again anytime. The hotel has an elevator (if that matters) and breakfast was included. Ask for a room not facing the street – and you’ll get a room with a view (Palazzo Vecchio and the Duomo’s cupola) without the noise of the street. There was an ATM a few feet away, tons of restaurants and shops around, we loved it.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 08:51 AM

I also recommend the Hotel Globus. A good 3 star hotel, within walking distance to most attractions. The staff were friendly and extremely helpful, great service.