Hotel Silla or Hotel Boccaccio

Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Silla or Hotel Boccaccio

Narrowed down to these two...which is the better choice? Is the area near the train station safe?
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 04:20 PM
cmt

Hotel Silla is a nice hotel. I was there about six years ago. It was pleasant and extremely quiet, with a very comfortable outdoor deck where a good buffet breakfast was served. I had a single, and it was not tiny at all. It was actually one of the smaller double used as a single. I don't remember what it cost, but it was more expensive than I wanted at the time. The next time I was in Florence, in 2002, I stayed at Hotel Morandi alla Crocetta, which I also liked. It was interesting looking on the inside, with a lot of character. The location was convenient enough, but it was in an alley in the student neighborhood which, while probably safe, was very dark and didn't look too pleasant. The room was 90 euro. I never heard of the other one, but that doesn't mean much. The area right near the train station is the only part of Florence where I felt a little uncomfortable; it isn't that bad, but I do not like the train station itself. All of central Florence is relatively small, so almost any hotel you pick wiill be walking distance to the train station (though maybe not when you have all your luggage).
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 05:32 PM

I stayed at the Hotel Silla about 5 years back. We had a really nice room and a great bathroom, nice staff and good breakfast, easy walk across the river, good neighborhood around us. I remember it to be a bit noisy from street traffic, we were on an upper floor (3-4) but it sounded like the vespas were right outside the window. They kept the hotel quite warm so we always wanted the window open, but it was too noisy...if that doesn't bother you it's a great choice.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the feedback. We have decided to go with Hotel Silla.
Appreciate it!!
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 08:10 PM

I think you'll like the Silla. We were there in September. Had a great room and enjoyed the terrace for breakfast. In many ways we liked staying on the "opposite" side of the Arno. Very interesting neighborhood and still close to all the sights.
-- enjoy!!