Florence Hotel

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:51 PM
KDP
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence Hotel

Everyone is so helpful on this message board! I wish I had been on from the beginning of my planning! I'm trying to find a hotel to stay in Florance for 2-3 nights. Affordable and comfortable, preferably in the city within walking distance to most everything...is that asking for too much? There are so many choices, I thought I'd ask for some suggestions and take it from there!
Thanks so much everyone!
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:55 PM
KDP
Original Poster

Sorry, I hadn't read all the way down the posts! I see the post by Pantelia, I'll check those out and if you have any more, please feel free to share Thanks!
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 02:40 AM

Hi KDP, Florence is a very walkable city. I assume you want to stay in the historical center, perhaps around the Duomo? Do, if you need some suggestions advise as to what you want to pay per night in Euro as affordable has such a different definition for various people. Best regards and enjoy your time in beautiful Italy!
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 06:41 AM

Tourist House Ghiberti is very nice and it's literally around the corner from the Duomo.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 06:43 AM
ira

Hi K,

Please define "Affordable and comfortable".

Old Oct 28th, 2006, 07:40 AM
JBX

Here's a thread about budget accommadations in Florence >>>
Hotel Recs around Duomo in Florence - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34889942
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 07:44 AM

Hi KDP, Take a look at Hotel Casci. That is where we decided to stay in May,after researching this board. Worth reading these reviews also:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?lc...286&ssrc=r.
Good luckGenie
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 07:48 AM

We stayed at the Albergo (Hotel) Firenze, 4 Piazza Donati, about 2 blocks from the Duomo. It is in the pedestrian-only zone. Our room, number 502, was a quad with a big bathroom with a tub. It was a one star hotel, which was fine for our family. Clean and quiet. I can't remember the price, but I know it was reasonable, especially given the great location. Have fun in Florence, and be sure to take the No. 7 bus up to Fiesole, a small hill town overlooking Florence with some interesting Etruscan ruins.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 08:15 AM

We stayed at Hotel Casci 2 summers ago - very nice family run operation in great location. Not fancy but clean, safe, and pleasant. The breakfast buffet was very generous. It was perfect for our family of four.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 09:12 AM
MaureenB

This is directly from my trip report, which is posted here on the Forum:

"We took a short cab ride to the Relais Cavalcanti. a very charming little 'hotel', at Via Pellicceria, 2. It occupies one floor of a building located near the Uffizi gallery, in a very good central location. Because my daughter had just finished her semester in Florence, she was able to recommend her favorite location in town for lodging.

The Relais Cavalcanti building has been in the same family's ownership for 100+ years, the owner/manager of the new-ish Relais is Francesca. She said she inherited this one floor of the building, so she recently renovated it to create a little hotel. It's relatively new, with beautiful tile bathrooms, showers, etc. The rooms are very charming, and good-sized. Our rate for a double/twin was 120EUR, which included an extra 10EUR/day for the better view. Francesca also offered a 5 percent discount for payment in cash.

You have the feeling of entering a very nice, private Italian home, when you unlock the Relais door and smell the potpourri set out on the beautiful tables in the hallway and entry way. It has a small elevator and a/c, too. No breakfast is served, but even better I think is that they have a beautiful little dining room/kitchen that is open 24/7 for guests. You have always available the makings for coffee, hot chocolate and tea, plus containers of pre-wrapped pastries and dessert cakes. That's about as much as you get in any Italian B&B for breakfast, and this way you can serve yourself whenever. One evening we bought wine, cheese, bread, and fruit and enjoyed our own private time in this beautiful room.

The only thing to be aware of at Relais Cavalcanti is that the first floor of the building is the Old Stove Irish pub. The good news is that it's a decent little place for panini, and has free wi-fi. However, it attracts a lot of students and young people, so it is quite noisy into the early morning hours. Our room window was directly above the pub's patio, with a nice view of adjoining rooftops. The double windows, plus the wooden shutters, can block out about 90 percent of the noise from the pub below. I found that I could also turn on the a/c fan in our room, which would then totally cover any outside noise.

Francesca also cautions her prospective guests that she does not staff a 24/7 front desk. She is there during posted hours, mostly till 6 p.m., and has an emergency number on the door. But she is careful to tell guests that hers is not a hotel with full-services at night-time. I highly recommend the Relais Cavalcanti."
>-

Old Oct 28th, 2006, 11:13 AM

I had the most wonderful 9 night stay at the Hotel Davanzati in April. This lovely, historic hotel was perfectly located in the city center and is run by a warm and friendly family. They arranged tours and train tickets for me, advised me on restaurants and in general made me feel at home. I can highly recommend this hotel.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 11:21 AM

I agree with Maureen regarding the Relais Cavalcanti. We have stayed there twice in the past 3 years and really enjoyed the cleanliness of the hotel as well as the owner. The location is just great. Just beware that you carry your own keys to get in and out of the building, elevator and main door to the hotel and your room so make sure one person is in charge of figuring that out, lol. Great, Great place!
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 12:13 PM

Check out the annex rooms at the Hotel Bellettini. www.hotelbellettini.com

It's a great location, "relatively reasonable", and the annex rooms are lovely.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 12:23 PM

Another vote for Hotel Casci. It was our home away from home the last time we were in Florence, and I do mean HOME AWAY FROM HOME. As I noted on another thread, it was like staying with an aunt and uncle. The family that own it is wonderful. That's where we'll always stay when we return.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 12:31 PM

We just returned from Venice,Florence & Rome. I would highly recommend the Hotel Alessandra. Great location near the Uffizi museum & the Arno river. Great LOCATION & VALUE.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 04:21 PM

Not sure what your idea of "affordable" is, but we've stayed at Villa Belvedere several times and love it. You can check it out at www.villa-bellvedere.com.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 04:23 PM

sorry, I had an extra "l" in that--it's
www.villa-belvedere.com.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 05:34 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Also just returned from Florence. Stayed 3 nights at Relais Grand Tour. I can't rave enough about it. A real treat, a feast for the senses. Relatively inexpensive, too. 5-minute walk to Duomo. Google for the website. It books up fast.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 12:34 AM

Just returned from my FOURTH visit to Casci Hotel in Florence, via Cavour 13, about 1.5 blocks from Duomo and literally around the corner from Accademia (David). Check out the fab reviews on trip advisor and think about staying there!!!
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 05:27 AM

We were very happy with the Hotel Maxim Via Dei Calzaiuoli 11. Excellent location about 1/2 block from Duomo on a pedestration only street (you can drive on it to load/unload luggage), good breakfast (included), free internet, elevator, very clean, not at all fancy. We paid 93 euros/night.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -