Reload this Page >

Florence: Best drop-off location

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Kendall

We are renting a car and driving from Rome to Florence and plan to return the car upon reaching Florence so that we will not have to drive it within the city. We will be staying at the Morandi alla Crocetta and I'm trying to figure out the best drop off location for the car in Florence because we will get a taxi to the hotel. These are the two locations I can choose from. Does anyone have knowledge of this area to know which is closest to the hotel? (We will be coming from the Chianti region - S222). Thank you. <BR><BR>1) Via Del Gelsomino #11 (2 miles from S222 near entrance of A119) or<BR><BR>2) Via Borgo Ognissanti #55R 59R<BR>

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Dale

My advice is to drop it at Florence airport. The city is mayhem.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Paula

We are taking the train from Rome to Florence and then renting a car and driving to Siena and the Tuscany region. Would you still recommend renting at the airport even though there is a rental car close to the train station at Via Borgo Ognissanti #55R 59R? Thanks.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:08 PM
mauld

On a recent stay in Florence my hotel was quite near the Oginissanti location and I must advise you that street is very narrow, and there was always a long line of cars being retuned to what appeared to be a very small garage enterance. No idea of the situation at the other locale. You probably would be best leaving it at the airport.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:16 PM
paula

Any idea of how far by train it is from the Central Station to the airport? I am thinking we might be better to do as you suggest and go to the airport for the car.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Kendall

If I'm coming from the Chinati region, wouldn't the airport be out of the way? And wouldn't I have to go through the city to get there also?

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:30 PM
xxx

I would drop the car in Florence at the site closest your hotel. Driving in the city is mayhem, but it's not that bad and you're only doing it once to drop the car off. I wouldn't want to drive in and out for day trips each day, but not a big deal to do it once. Just plan your route out on a map in advance and don't try to wing it.<BR><BR>I would email your hotel and ask which is closest. We picked up a rental car in Florence on our way out of town and used the Via Borgo Ognissanti location which is right by the Hotel Excelsior and Piazza Ognissanti. Not sure where the other location is in the city.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Bob

We drove to Florence from Chianti and dropped our car at the Autoeurope office in town. We emailed our hotel (Balestri) before leaving and they emailed me driving directions to the hotel with a map attached. Once we got to the hotel we got directions to the rental car company, no problems. Actually we did have one problem and that was entering the outskirts of Florence. We didn't know which split in the road to take to get us into town, stopped at a Marriott, found an American employee who took my map and gave me excellent directions. It's all in the adventure of driving. Go for it!

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Sue

Paula, we rented from Avis in Florence thru AutoEurope, and heading west (Tuscany, Siena) was not a problem. We picked up the car on a street that ran parallel to the Arno, not at the train station.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:49 PM
paula

Sue thanks for the message. We rented through Autoeurope and I believe it is the same rental location as you mentioned.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:59 PM
xxx

One other comment, be sure you are renting from Auto Europe and not someone else. A few years ago we had a confirmation from Auto Europe as they arrange most of the rentals, but when you read the detail, we were actually renting from Avis. Nothing sinister as they arrange car rental for several companies, just makes a difference on which sign you're looking for to pick up or drop off.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Betsy

Kendall, AutoEurope is a broker which may use one of several rental companies in Italy; our AutoEurope rental was through Avis. We picked up on Borgo Ognissanti and drove out of the Florence. It was not at all difficult. Just make sure when you pick up the car in Rome that they give you a good map to the return location in Florence. The return for Avis is between the train station and the Arno. I'm not sure about the location of your hotel, but Florence is compact, so it will be only a short cab ride. Go for the Borgo Ognissanti location.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 08:51 AM
Kendall

Thanks for all the info. I guess I will drop it off at the Via Borgo Ognissanti location since that's closest to my hotel. If we're coming from Chianti region (up S222) will we have to drive a lot within the city to arrive at this location?