Florence Art Scene Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Italy in July. Will be in Florence for 3 days. We want to see a couple or 3 Galleries while we are there. I like art but dont know much about it. Naturally we must see THE David, and a couple other well knowns. Right now I have tentatively selected 3 or 4 candidates: Galleria Uffizi, Galleria Accademia, Galleria D'arte Moderna, and Giardino Di Boboli. As I said I do like art, but don't want to spend my entire Florence time in a Gallery. I guess I am asking for your recommendations for your two or three favorites so I can still have time for Florence, shopping, food, wine, etc. Thanks for your help.
Old May 26th, 2004, 12:58 PM

In order of importance, I would suggest the Accademia, the Uffizi, the Bargello and, while you are at the Duomo, the Museo del Operal del Duomo. We loved the latter which has wonderful works including the original panels from Ghiberti's doors, a great Pieta by Michelangelo, a fabulous statue of Mary Magdalene by Donatello and numerous other great works.
Old May 26th, 2004, 12:59 PM

Hi
The Boboli Gardens are just gardens, the museum is the Pitti Palace which offers a choice of museum collections. On a short visit I'd skip that museum--it has some art treasures of course, but they are all jammed in together and not lit well imo. The gardens make a pleasant (uphill!) walk if you want some outdoor time.

The Uffizi and the Accademia are the two biggies in terms of popularity, with lines to match, so book a reserved ticket ahead of time either by calling the galleries, info on their websites, or by having your hotel do it for you.
Besides David (and by the way, the Accademia can be a relatively short visit, a half hour will do for most) my two other favorites are the Bargello
(wonderful sculptures, including Michelangelos and DellaRobbias) and the San Marco which has frescoes by
Fra Angelico. I've often complained here about the Uffizi, it has masterpieces that really ought to be seen, but it's not user friendly imo.
The Bargello, the San Marco, and the Museum of the Duomo also have world-class treasures, and are smaller and much much less crowded.

Do a little reading before you go--it will help put what you see in perspective.
Old May 26th, 2004, 01:32 PM

Both of the above posts are good advice. I also strongly recommend the Bargello and Duomo Museum, in addition to the Accademia and Uffizi.
Old May 26th, 2004, 01:42 PM

As people who generally don't like to spend a lot of time in museums, my husband and I were blown away by the Royal Apartments at Pitti Palace. It's not so much about the individual art pieces (to us, anyway) as it is how the rooms are so elaborately decorated. Either before or after, you can climb up the Boboli Gardens right behind the museum for a spectacular view of the city.

As Elaine said, many of the museums do not take that long to tour.
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:48 AM

My husband and I just returned from our Italian honeymoon and were delighted to find a special exhibit at the Palazzo Strozzi of the works of Botticelli and Filippino Lippi. I think it is there until August and I highly recommend it, in addition to the Uffizi and Accademia. IMHO, I would skip the Palazzo Pitti as there is so much art on the walls it is overwhelming and you can't begin to absorb what is there.
Old May 27th, 2004, 12:01 PM
pop

Behind the Uffizi is a science museum which contains many items of Gallileo, including his telescopes and early experimental equipment. Well worth the visit.
Old May 27th, 2004, 12:03 PM
ira

I go with mamc.