Florence and Rome alone

Mar 18th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Florence and Rome alone

I have a trip coming up to Florence and Rome at the end of this week. There is a strong possibility that my travel companion can not go. If that is the case, I have every intention of taking the trip alone. My question: Has anyone here travelled to these places alone? How was the experience? Was is scary? I've never been to Italy before and refuse to not go. But I want to have a good time and am just trying to get recommendations to make the most of this trip if I must do it alone. Thanks
Mar 18th, 2007, 01:05 PM

I have been to Italy three times in the last year and a half, each time alone. The first trip was Venice, Florence, Siena, Pienza & Rome, and the second two were all in Rome. Never felt unsafe or worried anywhere, and I always walked around at night. Go and have a great time!
Mar 18th, 2007, 01:10 PM

I spent 4 days alone in Florence and wasn't bothered or apprehensive in any way. It is a very romantic place so you definitely feel you are getting a different experience than others but that didn't bother me at all.

I found a church that offered concerts in the evenings for about $5. They were wonderful - candlelit and very low key - perfect to do alone.

I personally did not like the notion of eating alone in the nicer restaurants but that is just me. I ate mostly in counter ordering places and had pizzas, salads, pastas, paninis and nice glasses of wine. This too was wonderful.

I think you'll have a fabulous time. Just study your map so you look somewhat like you know where you're going and don't dress provocatively or you'll get attention you don't want. Also watch out for the motorcycles!
Mar 18th, 2007, 01:15 PM

I second Susan's comments. I have also been many times and quite often alone. It is not in the least bit scary. Although I say it here a lot, I think it is especially good for a single person to reserve a table for dinner before arriving at a restaurant. And don't worry about the language, either...where you are going you will find many people who speak English.
Mar 18th, 2007, 01:17 PM

I've never felt unsafe in any part of Italy. Just remember to bring your streetsmarts with you, and you should be fine.

I've not traveled alone there yet (although I have gone out at night alone in those cities) and love the feeling of freedom.

Enjoy yourself, and have a wonderful time! I'm very j! (as in jealous!)
Mar 19th, 2007, 09:43 AM
kja

I visited both cities by myself and had a wonderful time in each! I also had some memorable meals in each city - some without advance reservations. I've found that traveling alone can have some delightful advantages - hope you do to!
Mar 19th, 2007, 09:56 AM

I agree with the other posters, those two cities are about the easiest to do solo. Have a great time.
Mar 21st, 2007, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys for all of your advice. Im backing my bags and will be on a plane Saturday morning. Im totally excited.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:32 AM
MaureenB

Are your hotels near the city's historic sights, so you can easily walk to and from the hotels?
>-

Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:40 AM

hi verbaslt, you are most likely on your way. But if not I wanted to add to the others that I have and it was wonderful. Not scary, just pure delight. Enjoy every minute.

I will add to Maureen's post that unfortnately my hotel was not near sites, so I just took a cab in at the beginning of the day and cabbed back at night. In Florence, they had shuttles, if I decided to stay longer I just took a taxi home.

There is great freedom to traveling alone. Great freedom indeed!
Mar 22nd, 2007, 08:27 AM

hi, verbaslt,

by the time you read this, you'll probably be home.

so please, please post a trip report to tell us how you got on.

regards, ann
Mar 22nd, 2007, 08:40 AM

I had a list of about 27 churches in Rome that I really really wanted to see...I think we got to 9 of them. At times, I wished I was alone, so I could have just gone from church to church.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 10:25 AM

I have spent time alone in both rome and Florence and a bunch of other places in europe - since I usually try to add 2/3 days to business trips when I can.

Several key points:

I don;t eat at truly upscale restaurants - that really aren;t set up for singles - but tend to stick to more casuale places (and always bring a book or magazine - although I often just people watch)

I also choose a hotel with room service in case I feel like staying in (often the first night after a very busy meeting)

There are many walking tours (check the town tourist office for info) which are ideal for singles - since they're often small - and you can enjoy the tour - and often meet someone else doing the same thing - and make a new friend to play with

Also - look around in your hotel breakfast room and lobby - again you often have the chance to meet other single travelers (the waiter at breakfast will often ask if you want to share a table if you're alone)

And keep in mind that being alone you don;t have to make ANY compromises - can do exactly as you like in every way (when to eat, when to sit in a cafe for a drink etc)

Have always met some people - often too many - when traveling alone - sometimes the risk is running into another solo traveler who is a clinger